AuthorTopic: [WIP] My first animation and creation : TinyAlien  (Read 8055 times)

Offline Umasuki

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] My first animation and creation : TinyAlien

Reply #10 on: May 14, 2013, 11:49:33 pm
I'm back guys !
I added a few more frames for the animation and I improved the light !
The animation is totally wrong (except fort the tail) because of his coat and I can't manage to put it in the right way...
What do you think I should do to make it work better ?

Thanks in advance !  :)

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 15, 2013, 06:07:45 am
Not an animation edit, but I did a quick palette edit for you instead (with a few small changes to the shading - you had so many colors on the head; you can get away with using far fewer!)
First edit:

Second edit: (shaded the outline, but maybe it makes the ridges in his head look too deep by comparison? Also changed the hue of the shadows on his head a bit.)

First, I picked a slightly less saturated color for his skin; it was a bit bright for me. If you think a color looks good with full saturation, try a slightly less saturated version too, to see how you like it. Very saturated colors can burn your eyes easily, so be careful with them. Next, I changed the hue a bit towards green, just out of personal taste. Then I hue-shifted the shadows towards blue a bit with his skin, and a bit towards purple for his cloak. Changing the hue of highlights or shadows is an easy trick that will usually make your sprites more interesting looking, and usually more realistic looking; there aren't too many scenes in real life where there will be only one light source, so the shadowed areas will take on the color of the second light source.

Also changed the shape of the shading below the collar a bit to try to get rid of the banding a little. I don't know how well I did, though. The shape I picked probably isn't ideal, either.

Softened the ridges on his head by using the colors already being used in the shadows to fade the ridges back into the head on top. If you can reuse a color, then it's usually a good thing to do so. It'll make your piece look more unified, and easier to edit. You can always add more colors later if you decide you need them.

And be careful with the tail; it's shrinking! Make sure that all your masses stay the same size when you animate them. eg: If a ball stretches height-wise from falling, make sure it shrinks width-wise.

Dithering can look good, but if you use it, be careful with it. You can easily add texture to things when you don't mean to when you use it.

Aaaaaaanyway. Cool sprite! I just finished reading The Martian Chronicles, so I had fun looking at it and editing it. =)

One more edit:

Just added a pixel of white to his eyes to make them look shiny and alert! Depends on what you want, though, I guess. He's cool being mysterious and airy too, since he's an alien.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 07:08:06 am by jams0988 »

Offline Umasuki

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 11:48:09 am
Thanx for your answer jams0988 !
My palette is not definitive at all ! I might totally change it. It's just something I'm using now to progress.
By the way thanx for your advices and your work !
I find the blue shading very disturbing as my character won't evolve in a blue level (he will go from planet to planet so I need something generic)
I don't really want to darken the green as we won't be able to see his tail anymore if we do so. But I'll keep in mind the saturation not to hurt the eyes.
I added the light in his eye, he looks very cool now ! Thanx for the tip !
Right now i'm trying to apply some dithering on his coat and see what it looks like.
I'm in despair for the animation though ... Can't find a good way to animate the coat ...

Offline Umasuki

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 02:23:58 pm
Here is the animation I've got !

I've done some dithering and I removed the clothes that were moving on the front.
What do you think of it ?

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 15, 2013, 05:42:39 pm
I think that it is good, but apart from the cloak everything seems a bit static and stationary, try making everything move together, as it is, the eye is drawn to the cloak which I think isn't what you intended.
I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline Umasuki

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 08:00:16 pm
I know that appart the tail everything else is static. I plan to ake moving something else but I don't know what for the moment.
I plan to make the running animation as well but I'm not sure about if I should incline the sprite so the alien will lean a bit toward the front while running.
And for the animation, we can't see his legs so I wonder if it's going to end well...
I'm thinking about it before making it because it takes a lot of time to do !

Offline Umasuki

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 31, 2013, 07:56:19 pm
I'm doing a little up !
I've edited my first post to show you my progress so far.
I didn't have much time to work on it but I've done the running animation and the two frames for the jump (going up and going down).
I wanted you guys to give me some advises on how I could improve the work or a little help if you have some time.
Thanks anyway for the help so far !  :)