AuthorTopic: Special Moves Concept  (Read 5004 times)

Offline zulukee

• View Profile

Special Moves Concept

on: May 22, 2013, 06:11:43 pm
My first topic ;)

Offline zulukee

• View Profile

Re: Special Moves Concept

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 06:14:58 pm
I did these for a webgame character design. this is my first time to do the pixel animation like this. pls help me with your critiques.  ;D

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 11:34:46 pm
This is so good & so smooth I don't even know how to help you, and I think that's why you don't have too many answers.

Some transitions between two stances are really too fast to be understandable, but so far it seems you understand all the basic principles of animation. I love how you squash & stretch the sword in the last picture to simulate the motion blur. The way you animate hair & clothes is also very convincing. Good job. After seeing them a few more times, I might try to help you to find better transition between some stances, transitions that will help keeping momentum as you're breaking it too much in some animations.
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 11:40:28 pm
Yeah, these are gorgeous. I love the little details you added with the clothes and hair. So smooth and convincing! For the first one, she spins around a bit too fast to end in that kind of pose, in my opinion. It feels like she should be falling over with that kind of momentum and that kind of off-balance stance at the end. I love the little *poof!* air animation at the end, though! I can feel her firing her projectile off already!

For the last animation, the way she twists to her left before coming back straight down doesn't feel as convincing to me as the other animations. It's a huge sword, but I don't feel like there's too much weight behind it.

That said, this artwork is beautiful. It really looks better than a lot of professional work I've seen. Welcome to the forum! =)

Offline Chaos680

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 02:43:45 am
Based on the comments above, I'm now bummed that the links are all broken! XD Can you re-upload so we can check them out?

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 03:27:33 am
Based on the comments above, I'm now bummed that the links are all broken! XD Can you re-upload so we can check them out?

They're not broken?

Offline Chaos680

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 03:31:38 am
Really? Hmm. must be my net here at work then - I'm just showing broken image links, even if i copy/paste the urls.

Offline zulukee

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 07:50:54 am
So happy to see you guys' comments. for the male archer's second move, it does feel too fast, I'll fix it soon. and for the huge sword warrior, I did that in a hurry. (coz my PM kept pushing me, hurry!! hurry!! ;p)

anyway, there are still so many posing/path of body move to fix. Really really glad can know you guys like them. I'll carry on and learn more to do better. I love these pixel work.

PS. i used to learn a lot from the pixel works of fire emblem and street fighter 3.3 ;D best work ever!!

Offline zulukee

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 05:33:09 pm

Updated 2 more characters :blind:

Offline AzKai

• View Profile
    • My Artwork

Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 05:53:18 pm
These are SO COOL! @-@ I think I'm literally drooling at the side of my mouth...

I feel like the first one on this last post that you posted is a little too fast for my taste. Is that the max amount of frames? I'd love to see the slice with a bit more staging to it--maybe pulling it out a bit more and having her start to move forward a little more before the slice? It might give us a better idea on what is about to happen / that she just sliced something once the animation is over.

These are so cool! They remind me of those Street Fighter games and what not :y:

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 25, 2013, 01:50:19 pm
Very nice animations  :) but they need more detail to really stop looking so wip. They also have random pixels interspersed throughout the frames.