AuthorTopic: Animated Tank  (Read 6831 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Animated Tank

on: May 19, 2013, 09:28:58 pm
So.. I drew this tank, then I wanted to animate it, giving it an idle animation where it shakes due to the engine running.
But at this resolution moving parts 1 pixel makes it super bouncy. Hence, 'party hard'..

I'm also attempting harsh contrast with the black shadows, so I'd love to hear some crits on that.

Also, if the contrast is weird, it might also be because I'm using an old half-broken monitor. Due to my regular one breaking down.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Re: Animated Tank

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 10:00:24 pm
Seems like something you might want SFX to convey instead. I'm not seeing how this problem is solvable.

Either that or a super-cartoony style might make the huge bounce make more sense as long as things move in arcs.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 12:42:08 am
Time for some sub-pixel animation? Link, because he explains it better than I could:
http://2dwillneverdie.com/tutorial/give-your-sprites-depth-with-sub-pixel-animation/
The Metal Slug sprites are a good example.
I love the tank, Seisaki. Looking very 3D. Nice SNES-styled color palette too. Contrast looks fine to me! =)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:44:55 am by jams0988 »

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 01:29:57 am
Reminds me of this, http://www.wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=3394.0 check through that thread for some sub pixel inspiration.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 04:13:41 am
Yeah, I remember that thread..
And I've sorta dreaded the day I'd have to learn subpixel animation xD

Gave it a go, Metal slugs style.
Looks kinda like someone playing around with a flashlight.

Tweaked the original a bit, I still like having the outline move, sub pixels become so messy.

edit: It doesn't make much sense to have it move that much while idle, it's enough if the engine moves a bit.
So I tried to use it as a driving animation.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 12:36:25 pm by Seiseki »

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 07:18:54 am
I personally like the subpixel one you made, it gives a fairly strong sense of form. However, the reason why it looks like a flashlight passing over it is because you shifted only the lights. From what I understand, shifting the details inside the form is just as important as shifting the lights.

With the more bouncy version, it's odd that the centre part doesn't move very much. It's dissonant between the cartoony extreme movement of the wheels and the realistic movement of the subpixel one.
 Some things to consider:
Shifting the tread shadow makes it look like the treads are growing in size vertically, doesn't work well.
You might want to give up on the jumping around entirely, instead having the treads and the engine pipes move. If you still want to have that, then I feel you'll probably have to shift the middle part too. It's solidly connected to the base, after all, and there are no springs to make it a smoother ride from what I know.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 07:39:05 am
The 'subpixelling' trick isn't something I'm all that fond of lately. While it's less weird and chaotic than moving something a distance of a pixel, it would either tamper with the intended form or create an undesirably level of blur depending how you approach it.

You can also consider making stuff move in circles instead of back and forth in a straight line, though I dunno how that would turn out since it will add more movement to an animation that's supposed to have less. Afterall, in theory everything moves in an arc.

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 11:10:49 am
According to me, the subpixel version is a lot easier to the eye.
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 11:18:54 am
Me too. I understand it might seem cliche by now but I still think that's the best approach for that sort of animation. I'd go one step further and do another two frames of extremes to make it more smooth, but that's just me.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 01:54:03 pm
Hm, the whole movement is supposed to look like the tank is driving over uneven terrain..
But I guess I have to do more with the tracks.

I went back to update the sprite and add some more detail.

I also tried to give the tracks a bit of an arc, and now when the tank is moved at increments that match the distance between the wheels there's an interesting effect.

edit:

Some other idle/movement animations for tiny soldier dudes.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 02:49:32 am by Seiseki »

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 03:02:54 pm
I like the track arc but it doesn't seem to feel right in movement unless you plan on having both high and low points varying. Right now it looks like either the high points in the terrain are at both ends or the tank is being floated above the terrain the entire time. Are you planning on varying where the wheels are even more vertically to simulate it better?

In other thoughts, I love the tank design and even the cartoony bounce seemed to do it justice as much as it was panned.  :y: Also the original "party hard" made me laugh because I accidentally made a character look like he was break dancing a couple days ago and it ended up a "party hard" animated gif. Wasn't my best story, I know...
<3

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 12:57:02 am
Its a great tank but I feel the canon barrel could use some improvement. Its an important part of the tank so its a shame to see it lost against the grey road.

Regarding animation, I haven't read all this but one thing I'm seeing is that your mostly using 2 frames in which everything moves at once.
Try separating the pieces and moving them separately at their own rates.
For example the tail pipes can vibrate quickly from side to side, and add some smoke puffs for effect.
You can try subpixeling the main body to give the impression of it changing angle rather than just up and down.
Then you can have the turret section bounce up and down in delayed reaction to the main body movement at say half the rate.
On all pieces you can try subpixeling into outline by making it green some frames (try half way between highlight and black), dunno if thats a good idea but worth a shot.

BTW, I LOVE the little soldier guys they're awesome!
Would love to see them running around with guns, ducking for cover, throwing grenades etc  ;D

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 02:08:02 am
Wayno, hm I see what you mean, but isn't that only if the tracks would be completely straight?
And I have been thinking about the wheels bouncing up and down.

As Decroded pointed out that a delayed bounce for the parts would make it more natural, so it would make sense to start with the tracks/wheels, then the body and finally turret.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 04:06:22 am
Oh yeah you can make the individual wheels go up and down to follow the bumps in the groud, and maybe adjust the track arc and body movement to flow from that.  :y:
As Wanyo say, the track arc like that while its stationary makes no sense.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #14 on: May 22, 2013, 04:49:58 am
Oh yeah you can make the individual wheels go up and down to follow the bumps in the groud, and maybe adjust the track arc and body movement to flow from that.  :y:
As Wanyo say, the track arc like that while its stationary makes no sense.

Yeah, I guess the middle wheel is making it look weird, no tank would have a single wheel sitting below the others in the middle.
Maybe I'll try having the 3 wheels in the middle sit much lower than the others. Possibly increasing the front and rear wheels in size too.

These were two of the tanks I had in mind when drawing, but I only drew from memory, so it would look original.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 10:35:27 am by Seiseki »

Offline Wanyo

• <3
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 04:38:44 pm
I always forget to look at actual footage of what I'm trying to make.  :crazy:

After looking at some tank footage I feel like the wheels barely move vertically even while on uneven terrain, maybe just a pixel of movement at most if you want to demonstrate it. Even the iconic metal slug tanks do it similarly with little-to-no actual wheel movement and only just a little tread give.

I'm pretty impressed that you did it straight from memory, the details are awesome!
<3