AuthorTopic: [WIP] My first animation and creation : TinyAlien  (Read 8063 times)

Offline Umasuki

• View Profile
Hello guys,
I'm new here and i've been working since yesterday on the main character of my game !
It's an escaped alien from some prison in space.
He just came to life today with the shadings and I'm trying to animate it.
I would need some help and advises to do so.
Thanx in advance for your help ! ;D

[EDIT] : Last version so far
Idle

Running

Jump (up and down)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 07:49:44 pm by Umasuki »

Offline GameDragon

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] My first animation and creation : TinyAlien

Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 10:10:08 pm
There's quite a lot of banding here you need to get rid of. It makes it feel very flat.

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:13:24 pm
As gamedragon said, banding and flatness. What you are doing right now is bevel shading. That is where you shade everything like they have a flat top and a slight slant on the edge, a bevel. You need to shade the different parts according to their actual shapes and to the light source.

Offline Umasuki

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 10:18:33 pm
Thanx for your replies !
Bandings ? You mean the black lines around the character ?  :-\
I can't see what is the next step to make it more realistic. Any advice or example ?  :)

Offline GameDragon

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 11:14:19 pm
I used different colors to try to explain it better. (Click the image to make it larger).

What banding is basically as consistent stripe of pixels. A continuous pattern. The line starts out green, the next one is, blue, then red. This pattern does not change, and it gives a very bad flat, bevel effect. You have the same thing going on throughout your entire sprite:

While the colors are different, the pattern is still there. You should first try to get rid of most of the banding, then try to add some form and value to the alien.

Offline Umasuki

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 12:04:05 am
Thanx !
I tried to apply what you said on my sprite ! It's better for the head I think but something is wrong with the clothes and I can't figure it out  >:(

Offline Suptapong

• Dandelions tickle my fancy.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 10:51:04 am
I like your character it is looking good, but try to add some dithering to make it really come alive, like so:

I also added a personal touch, but the main idea here is to just dither a bit  :y:
ay gurl u a carpenter?

cuz I got some hardwood that needs sanding

Offline Umasuki

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 01:07:23 pm
Wow ! You did a fantastic job  :y: ! Thank you so much !
I will try to apply what you did on the others sprites ! (I'll just keep my mouth 'cause yours seems too agressive I think).
Thank you so much again !  ;D

[Edit] : I might keep the mouth to represent another alien in game with a choose character menu at the beginning because it looks very good !
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 01:12:56 pm by Umasuki »

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #8 on: May 13, 2013, 01:28:51 pm
The dithering is a nice effect and looks quite good here, however your original problem (banding discounted) is that your shading doesn't describe the shape all too well.

edit: also I apologize for the lackluster quality of my own shading, I had a slightly hard time understanding how the coat works in 3d.

It's a good idea to start out your sprite with some pretty stark cel-style shading, that you then soften up with dithering in areas where there might be smoother transitions needed. It's also easier to avoid banding when your shading isn't hugging the edge of your character, as often is the case when you are unsure about where they should go.

Regarding figuring out where shading itself goes, it's notoriously hard to find any substantial advice on the 'net. Most folks just go "imagine where... The light -doesn't- hit!" which to me was always unhelpful. (mainly because those tutoring this were experienced enough to have forgotten exactly how they went about learning all that stuff in the first place.)
If you are having trouble with this, I would suggest finding different shaped items, like spheres and cubes and other stuff like that, putting them on a table in a dark room and pointing a flashlight or something at them. That way you'll be able to study how light moves on different surfaces.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Umasuki

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 02:45:41 pm
This is exactly what I needed ! Thank you so much !
That kind of cape around him was driving me crazy with the shadings and I'm not a drawer nor an artist so I find it very useful !
Thank you for your help, I'm updating the shadings right now !  :lol: