AuthorTopic: My first "detailed" sprite character  (Read 8334 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: My first "detailed" sprite character

Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 02:44:55 pm
It's rather noisy. You need to create larger areas of the same color.
It's a huge improvement, but it's really hard to read because everything is too detailed and fights for attention.

And it's kinda hard to see what it looks like 1:1 because you posted an enlarged version, there's a zoom function on the forums so post the original size.

Offline Death Meastro

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 04:55:36 pm
Hmm, I'll play around more with larger areas of the same color. Heres a smaller version of the same picture ^^

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 05:22:47 pm
I took some time but i exported your palette (my eyes hurt) and it has 63 colors, its humanly impossible to see the difference in some of them. I like the overall design of the character and the long hair, but i think maybe some fringe might help.

Just for some comparison, this piece has 64 - http://www.pixeljoint.com/files/icons/full/elk_dragon_final.png

The first thing you need to do is to clean this, for example why arm's skin color is different from the face?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 05:24:47 pm by BlackFang »

Offline Death Meastro

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 11, 2013, 05:29:10 pm
Ok! Thanks for the advice and taking the time to export my palette   :D  Does fringe mean to cut down the colors?

Offline Death Meastro

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: May 11, 2013, 05:30:28 pm
I missed the rest of your post ha, I did change the skin color though. What you said makes sense.

Offline BlackFang

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: May 11, 2013, 05:49:14 pm
By fringe i meant 'hair on his face', i didn't know the word for that so i looked on google, sorry.

-Edit: lol, by hair on his face I don't mean facial hair (beard), i mean this http://i01.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/798684255/Wig-non-mainstream-long-curly-hair-fluffy-font-b-bag-b-font-high-temperature-wire-oblique.jpg
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 08:45:56 pm by BlackFang »

Offline Death Meastro

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 10:10:28 pm
kk, I should add this is what you mean? ^^

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 11:10:54 pm
Heres the result, I am aiming for a Seiken Densetu look or feel on my characters so I continually compared my art to to Duran from Seiken Densetu 3. Let me know what you think!
It looks good, but it's too obvious what you're referencing. The palette and pose both made me go "ah, Seiken Densetsu." It's improving, though!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 11:16:12 pm by jams0988 »

Offline Death Meastro

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 11:46:28 pm
Ha, I was afraid the pose looked a little too much like Duran. The so called story behind this character is he was he adopted by a higher up, trained very well in combat (a natural leader, ect.) He's strong, charming, the usual. Therefore he has a confident, borderline cocky pose. He is strong, only the the breast plate, and the shoulder guard (I hope the shoulder guard is clear enough to understand) are his main avenues of defense. I developed the stance before I studied Duran, but I know the feet are very Duran-esk. Ah well, it is after all the progression of my first detailed character  ;D

Offline Death Meastro

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 09:01:16 pm
Here is the newest rendition of him! I changed his color around a bit to create more contrast since I got rid of ALL 64 COLORS! and dropped it to only 16, including alpha  ;) (i think haha). I changed some of his pose a little in an attempt to distinguish against Seiken Densetsu, particularly Duran from Seiken Densetsu 3. and lastly along with dropping the colors, i clarified a few details on his person. The picture also has the color palette attached, the top one is the before, the bottom is the after. (I think the instructions before you post said to include references of inspiration) which would be me taking the color palette from Duran, laying it out and seeing how it only had 16 colors itself.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:03:00 pm by Death Meastro »