AuthorTopic: [wip] McD's, Dr Pepper and Nike  (Read 4988 times)

Offline robp

• View Profile

[wip] McD's, Dr Pepper and Nike

on: June 03, 2013, 10:02:47 pm
Hi, not sure why but I think my threads been deleted so I'll do it again. These are for a college project, I'm a beginner when it comes to Pixel art so any help would be really appreciated thanks. The one that I think needs the most work is the McDonald's one, I'm not sure which background I think works better on the Nike poster either.

(This says press start in the box, uploaded wrong version)

Rest here:
http://imgur.com/a/drevg
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 03:13:57 pm by robp »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] McD's, Dr Pepper and Nike

Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 04:55:49 am
McDonalds? I don't see no McDonalds but you're making me hungry now   :crazy:

I'm not sure what's going on here TBH, can you share some more light on what we're looking at?
Is it random pixel art for art's sake? Or meant to be functional.

Its immediately obvious that the character is not in isometric perspective.
With the way he's facing its hard for me to visualise this as a functional game environment.

It seems it seems a little odd to have what looks like a fast paced platform game in this perspective.
I would normally lean towards some type of oblique view.

Canvas feels empty and unbalanced too.
For example the distance from the jumping guy to the Nike logo, and the fact that there are 3 of them competing for attention.

Offline Letmethink

• Lol!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 06:17:48 am
McDonalds? I don't see no McDonalds but you're making me hungry now   :crazy:

Look at the link at the bottom of his post, I missed that first time I looked as well.
I can't be bothered to make a signature. Seriously, who has time to write these things? I have stuff to do, games to make, and you expect me to write a big, long signature?  I'm not your slave. You can't tell me what to do, so no, I WON'T write a signature.

Oh, wait...

Offline robp

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:18:33 pm
Yeah sorry should have been more clear, I've edited them in now.

I'm not sure what's going on here TBH, can you share some more light on what we're looking at?
Is it random pixel art for art's sake? Or meant to be functional.
For the project I've created a graphic design company, so I've created like the logo and website and stuff, and this would be some examples of the fictional work they've designed for other companies.

Its immediately obvious that the character is not in isometric perspective.
With the way he's facing its hard for me to visualise this as a functional game environment.

It seems it seems a little odd to have what looks like a fast paced platform game in this perspective.
I would normally lean towards some type of oblique view.

Canvas feels empty and unbalanced too.
For example the distance from the jumping guy to the Nike logo, and the fact that there are 3 of them competing for attention.

It's supposed to be just one guy, its just supposed to be a poster not actually functional, the campaigns advertising the trainers and kind of associating it with levelling up in a game. It is a bit empty though, any suggestions on what to add? I was thinking of doing some kind of fireworks coming out of the finish line like you see on some games.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 04:40:47 pm
You should clean the black lineart of the characters. Make it one pixel wide, that's usually the best option.

About the Nike one, it looks better with either the first BG or a lighter version of the second one (the actual second one is too close to the hair color)

Offline robp

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 07:52:24 am
Thanks, any suggestions on the mcdonalds one? Specifically I dont think the guy looks very good.

Offline skaytr

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 12:47:56 pm
For all of them, the McD's one especially, you could use some more texture to your surfaces. If your using tiles, make sure it repeats ok :P

For example, you will never see a plain colour tile, especially in a restaurant:

And even in tiles that appear blank, there is in fact some sort of texture:

There is also a Tangent which is bothering me..

Here is a quick edit to illustrate my points:
(Sorry for rough work, using a mouse haha)

I moved the line down so it dosnt match the intersecting line between the floor and the wall,
And I added a subtle texture to the tile, including a highlight to pop them out a little bit.
I would suggest adding at least a subtle texture to everything else, unless of course you are going for a certain oldschool isometric game art style :P - in that case I would still suggest adding highlights to make everything "pop" out a bit more.

Other than that, perspective is pretty darn good,  Shading on the walls are nice - make sure to shade the stools/tables the same difference as the wall, at the moment they are a bit flat :)

That should be enough to start you moving in the right direction,
Nice work!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:50:14 pm by skaytr »

Offline robp

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 01:04:12 pm
Very helpful thank you! :)