AuthorTopic: [WIP] RPG-like mockup  (Read 7825 times)

Offline nerevarine

• View Profile

[WIP] RPG-like mockup

on: January 26, 2013, 07:09:21 pm
Hi everyone!

My friend and I are working on a game. I have put together a test scene and would really like to get some comments on it.

As references I used Final Fantasy series, Seiken Densetsu 3, Crystal Kingdom and works of Kiwinuptuo.

I can't seem to get a good contrast on the vine (on the wall). Maybe some problems with the perspective as well... and with the well (as well :) ).

Offline Applzor

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] RPG-like mockup

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 01:00:13 am
the only problems per say I can find in this are perhaps the water is a bit dull, the tree a bit cubed and the path just stops (although you probably haven't finished the tileset)

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 01:24:50 am
Is it all made out of tiles?  Would you mind posting the tileset, Id like to see how all the rock tiles are put together.

The grass feels a little messy to me, and I might increase its saturation very slightly.
Perhapes go for some more bold shading on the roof and maybe the barrell.
The vines on the wall dont read as vines at 1x.  Try simplifying the shapes and detail a bit there so its more recognizable.
Tree looks good but maybe feels a bit dense.  And the way the shadow cuts in at an angle

Offline nerevarine

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 03:20:05 pm
Actually it is not made of tiles, but I used a method similar to tiles. I first made some parts of this cliff thing, and than I combined them in various ways (plus some minor hand adjustments if needed).
Here are some examples of how I did it. 

I am not sure if people do it this way, (since I am really new to all this pixel art thing :) ) but for me, it proved to be efficient, fast and decent looking method.

Btw thanks for comments. I will try to do something with that vine.

Offline Hideon

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 07:28:59 pm
Some textures are a bit off, you should try to improve it, especially grass and dirt, because it looks a bit noisy.
Did you use that as a reference? Kiwinuptuo RPG Tileset: Green Forest.
It looks like.

Offline nerevarine

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:47:00 pm
yeah, thats what i used as reference for rocks (and it probably look to similar right now, so I am thinking about altering a bit those rim rocks viewed from above). the dirt (i guess you are talking about path) is not final, since i just wanted to see how it will look like if I have a path. And about grass, I am not to happy about it either, but a friend with who I am working (he is programing the game) really liked it that way. But thanks for the opinion, maybe I'll convince him to let me change that.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 08:50:15 pm by nerevarine »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 11:02:21 pm
Let me tell you, if you're not going to use tiles for the scenes, you're going to have a hell of a time doing the graphics :lol:

Offline halffish

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 08:54:20 am
Great job so far! Since other people mentioned most of the stuff, I'd add a color suggestion. You know how you tree is blueish on the right side for the shadows? I would suggest you shift the shadows of the rocks to a cooler hue rather than straight darker tint of the same color. It'll give it more dimension!

Offline DOT33102

• Dots are pixels , pixels are art :D voila !
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2013, 10:08:44 pm
I love it :D just two things that has caught my attention first off the tree , I' am not sure if it supposed to be cubic unless your intending on making the game style like that and secondly the water , since its surrounded by rocks therefor no movement , but Idk maybe add some fish playing or something :P anyways all in all great job I love it /

Offline Luigi_Mu

• crazy pixel artist
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 09:20:24 am
Nice retro work I love it. The only thing though, it's the tree, it gives an visual effect like it's hollow at shadow side. Oh another thing, your rocks look like regular iso tiles in GBA/WS games which is adorable, but your house is not very iso. In the old games, building are pretty like that but they were generally smaller like castles on the map in FF, so it won't become eye catching, but your cabin is quite big. Still retro nice colour I love the style.
@Oni_Luigi