AuthorTopic: [WIP]Tactical Game Tileset  (Read 7635 times)

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Re: [WIP]Tactical Game Tileset

Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 06:36:55 pm
That looks kinda weird though, since you can see both sides of the wall.
The grass in general looks a bit too straight and uniform too.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 07:02:09 pm
Maybe push the top edge of the wall so that it doesn't have the back wall showing at all? That wouldn't be too problematic, I think. (of course it gets inconsistent with the front where there are garden bench-style patches of grass... Hm. I still think my edit looks less jarring than the original?)
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Hideon

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 01:07:34 am
Is the wall inspired on the Warcraft II tiles?
http://spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/warcraft2/sheet/29501
If not, maybe you can take it as a reference for yours.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 26, 2013, 01:42:47 am
Hey, I roughed in a bunch of ideas for the unification of the view, and for reducing repetition. Having the characters at near profile with a lot of the tiles near top down is always gonna look a little odd; I blocked out one of knights more consistently with the rest of my edit, but I always give the the disclaimer that it can make stuff a lot harder doing so, especially if you've limited time. The rest:
  • What Ymedron already did with the grass/wall border + making the north grass/dirt less flat as if the bottom were obscured; also the top of the wall to the top edge for the same reason.
  • Gave the plant some overlap and a slightly different hue for contrast, broader variants tiles for the grass and wooden bridge, exaggerated the shadow/reflection on the water for depth and removed the busy highlights from all the cobble.
  • In general I'd keep any contrasting details to the borders of stuff so as not to distract; like Lachie I thought the variant tiles for the cobbles were just too abrupt. The flowers seemed to tie the whole thing together better in white, mirroring the wall.

I slightly toned done the saturation but thought the colours were mostly ok, if quite bright. They just needed some unification: flowers/wall water/plants etc :y:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:44:57 pm by Facet »