AuthorTopic: [WIP] BunnyGuy - Hai there.  (Read 3924 times)

Offline EyePatch

• View Profile

[WIP] BunnyGuy - Hai there.

on: January 19, 2013, 03:47:58 am
Hey, I'm Patch.

-uh oh, the links died-
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
I amstill learning and I find I have some problemwith anatomy of my sprites because:
(1) I'm lazy. XD
(2) I haven't find any article that, really shows what I want.
(3) I mostly do monsters, and non-human stuff, which is why I base myself on, my own made bones and stuff, but I have come to realize, It's still needed.
  • Colors, I, I can't find it so that this color goes good with another, I am still very lost in colors, but I hope to improve.
  • Bigger Sprites, Firstly I started Pixel art to make some art, but small, Now I have come to realize, Pixel art seems small, but it's huge, and it fascinates me xD so I wanna learn more and more. And I want to be able to make bigger sprites, for Portraits or big characters.

Thanks for taking time to read. This forums amazes me by the quantity of people in here that pixel so amazing.

P.S. where do I get this smilies pack? It's incredible!
They are our very own, created specifically for Pixelation. - Crow
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:35:49 pm by EyePatch »

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] BunnyGuy - Hai there.

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 04:47:32 am
For images, use [ img ] url.whatever [ /img ] without the spaces.

But the image still doesn't work so I'm guessing you took the wrong url after you uploaded it. It should be the one labeled Direct Link (and Imageshack makes you log in to copy that, I'd suggest Imgur for something a little better handled.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 04:53:16 am

This is the image directly linked.
Overall, I would suggest a bit more contrast to improve readability, as well as reduce some necessary colors. Read up a bit on anatomy and try to not have such a stiff pose for the character.  :y:
(Also what is up with the BG? Just curious :P).

Offline EyePatch

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 03:12:16 pm
Ah Thanks guys! And thanks Crow! Sorry, I posted so late and then I had to go sleep lol  :blind: but cool, Yesh, Any good anatomy article you guys recommend? I'll check Imgur(I use imageshack  :P).
-dead link-

Ah ok, So the smilies are your own, nice guys xD But can you tell me, how big does a smiley need to be? I wanted to try doing some smilies :O later, when I have more time xD

Thanks guys! And theres no particular reason for the BG, just random xD
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:32:32 pm by EyePatch »

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 03:24:53 pm
(1) I'm lazy. XD

Sounds like the first thing you need is self-discipline; it's hard to improve rapidly without being able to keep oneself on track.  Overcoming this is probably the most important thing you can do -- I'm still getting over my feeling of "artistic laziness", but now that I'm more demanding of myself, I'm noticing speedy gains.

(2) I haven't find any article that, really shows what I want.

This site is pretty invaluable: http://www.posemaniacs.com/

We also have an anatomy thread in the "General Discussion" part of the fora where you can post your progress ;)

(3) I mostly do monsters, and non-human stuff, which is why I base myself on, my own made bones and stuff, but I have come to realize, It's still needed.

I think you'll definitely find that working with human anatomy will help with forming arbitrary monster anatomy; you may even want to work on the anatomy of other animals.

• Colors, I, I can't find it so that this color goes good with another, I am still very lost in colors, but I hope to improve.
Learning basic color theory isn't as hard as learning basic anatomy (at least, in my opinion thus far), partially because there are a lot of resources out there that can help you practice and move forward quickly.  I found that it was both fun and enlightening to recolor a lot of the pieces in the PixelJoint hall of fame.  It's also helpful for figuring out how many of them pick such great combinations of colors.

Of course, it's good to start by understanding the extreme basics: http://www.worqx.com/color/color_basics.htm

• Bigger Sprites, Firstly I started Pixel art to make some art, but small, Now I have come to realize, Pixel art seems small, but it's huge, and it fascinates me xD so I wanna learn more and more. And I want to be able to make bigger sprites, for Portraits or big characters.
I'd advise you practice your traditional drawing skills (paper+pencils), since it's a simple way to quickly get ideas down and get up to speed with the basics.  I was recommended this book by many artists here, and I'll recommend it myself since I found it so helpful: http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Right-Side-Brain-Definitive/dp/1585429201  It'll help you get on your feet rather quickly.

Offline EyePatch

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 03:30:16 pm
O.O ok Ash, I'll knock my laziness >:D!
Thanks for the links, I'll read them, and I too think Colors are easier xD but still hard  :blind:
I'll try the pencil+paper  :P And my style too, I'm lost in that... Should I have a proper style, or, change styles now and then?

Offline Ashbad

• I am governor Jerry Brown
    • View Profile
    • SoundCloud

Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 03:44:01 pm
And my style too, I'm lost in that... Should I have a proper style, or, change styles now and then?

Many artists warn against fusing learning mistakes into one's "Style".  For example, if after an hour of studying, you can't figure out how to draw an anatomically correct foot, and you start drawing them incorrectly and proclaim that it's part of your "style", you're inhibiting yourself from figuring out how to correctly draw a foot.  On the other hand, if you study hard and are finally able to draw a foot with correct proportions and features, and decide to draw them differently based on personal ideas and a firm knowledge of foot anatomy, then you're acting knowledgeably.  In addition, as you draw more and more, you'll realize that you'll unknowingly form a bit of style anyways.  It's a bit of a controversial topic, I suppose.