AuthorTopic: [wip] Humanoid Mecha C+C please  (Read 14484 times)

Offline Semont

• View Profile

[wip] Humanoid Mecha C+C please

on: January 19, 2013, 09:11:13 am

I didn't get much response from my pixeljoint thread so I thought I'd post here to get a wider audience.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm still a newbie in pixel art and I'm always looking for ways to improve.

Atm I'm not good at picking colours (this one took me far too long to settle, I changed the colours many times over already), shading and shading according to light sources.

I also need more practice with drawing in general since I completely lack speed. I've been working on this since mid november sort of on and off.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:48:42 am by Semont »

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Re: [wip] Humanoid Mecha C+C please

Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 07:01:26 pm
Your pixeling technique looks okay, with nice curves/steps, AA, outline colors, etc. I think the problem with this figure lies more at the construction stage (stick limbs, trunky torso and flattened pose), and with the amount of work which you have put into the pixel placements it's almost to late to change.

There are also some problems with her suit design, not rhyming well with the human form at some places. Strange vent shapes cutting into the upper breasts, suggesting a sort of weird plane there. The calf armour gets thinner where the muscle usually dents out (and I expect a muscle form because of the flesh tone above), making me feel uneasy. The feet have almost no points of articulation suggested, which sort of works on stumpy designs like Aegis, Bubblegum Crisis, Zone of Enders or Drossel Charming, but it looks strange here where there's an actual foot and wheel. I'd reference some of the foot-wheel designs which are out there:
http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TOY-RBT-1236
http://www.joysf.com/board_pic/files/attach/images/2705510/2784591/05_Heavy_Gear_Hunter.JPG

The pod feet which you have suggested can be mixed in too: http://www.gamesetwatch.com/steel_battalion_quasar1.jpg

Another thing to consider is your shape theme. Is it bevels, rounded forms? Irregularities? Order? Ribs? Dots?

Another source of inspiration can be the recent Phantasy Star Online CAST designs.

~tootooot
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:03:02 pm by Arne »

Offline Semont

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 07:31:07 pm
Thanks for the reply, I don't have much time to type since I have work soon but about the foot,

The front "toe" and the back "heel" can be pivoted up and down while the center wheel is allowed to descend, there's also a small wheel on the front (might add one on the back heel as well) toe that can descend to act as a stabilizer. The heel can be gradually lowered to act like a inline skate brake. Also, the black tips of the heel and toe are made of hardened rubber which can be replaced.

The foot doesn't allow for torsional movement since there is no ankle but since the point of contact from the toe and the heel is like that of a bicycle, it stays upright on it's own by utilizing the same principle. Only problem is that the legs can't stay too close to each other (which is what ironically happens in this pose).

I'm aware of the popular placement of wheels on the back of the foot but for me that only causes the possibility of the entire mech flipping forwards unless there are wheels embedded on the underside of the foot.

I know the chest and lower abdomen conflict with each other and the rest of the armour itself but it might be too late for the changes. The "ribs" are slats of reactive armour placed at where the lower abdomen would tilt from side to side.

Thanks for the comment about the calf though, no one ever said anything about that and it's not something too late to change since it's just a bucketfilled outline atm.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:39:11 pm by Semont »

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 10:15:05 pm
I would agree with Arne about curves. Very nice work on many places in that sense.

I would suggest a more dynamic pose. There's just something too wooden about it.  What are you trying to convey with it? Perhaps you should dry to redesign the legs, with them slightly bent. Something like this: http://onlyhdwallpapers.com/wallpaper/optimus_prime_attack_pose_desktop_5040x3600_wallpaper-234158.jpg

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 04:27:18 am
It looks flat because the torso is flat.

The head, bent arm, and legs turn toward the side a bit.  The center chest plate aims towards the camera.  The belly also seems to turn towards the side, maybe, like it can't make up its mind.  Which would mean a twisty spine.  There is nothing to suggest volume where the rib cage should be.

Similarly, the legs and curve from waist to hips suggest the hips should be tilted, or that she is leaning over, but the hip plates are perfectly level.  They are also almost directly facing the camera, but the legs are turned strongly to the side.

The volumetric style present on the robot parts (arms and legs) is altogether missing on the organic parts.

Tourist

Offline Semont

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 05:32:10 am
Thanks for the responses, I'll try harder and see what I can produce one week from now.

Offline Semont

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2013, 10:00:42 pm

Here's an update. This has been very on and off and it's been hard to keep focused on it.

I'm going to be redrawing it's left hand and tilt it downward a little.

Eventually.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 04:35:34 am
I really like that design.  ;D

As for coloring though, sometimes bad coloring can be revealed if you were to turn it grayscale. Ideally, you should be able to distinguish your forms and your shapes apart very easily even if you turn an image grayscale.

Good colors schemes tend to have colors that have a clear value contrast. Good color schemes that have a small value contrast tend to use just light colors and focuses on hue contrasts instead. I made the skin lighter than the hair, hair lighter than the gray, and the gray lighter than the blue. I also made the gray more cyan since I felt that color looked out of place somehow. That's what I did with the first round of edits.

Areas with stronger value contrasts also tends to be good at bringing attention to themselves. I fiddled with how your color scheme was used since it really tosses the focus of your character design all over the place. Now, most of our value contrasts should be mostly found where the skin is.

EDIT: Was a bit careless with my edit, but hopefully anything else I'll notice about my edit shouldn't bother me now.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:49:37 am by Pix3M »

Offline Semont

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 06:02:16 am
Yeah the colour scheme I must admit is truely awful. I started the piece with poor understanding of how to really pick colours.

Personally, I think it might be too late to change the colours without drastically recolouring the whatever I've worked on unless I spend hours and hours on it. Ideally, I just need to move on and work on the next piece with whatever experience I've learned while working on this piece.

The contrast you created in your edit is a nice wake up call, I definitely need to choose my colours more wisely and create a better contrast between different elements.

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 06:11:25 am
Hours and hours? Here's a tip to make things faster: work with a smaller canvas size.  ;)

350x566 has more or less 198100 pixels in it. If you work at 64x64, there are only 4096 pixels.