AuthorTopic: [wip] Humanoid Mecha C+C please  (Read 14494 times)

Offline Semont

• View Profile

Re: [wip] Humanoid Mecha C+C please

Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 07:36:18 am
I really don't want to make avatar sized images. I don't really get a sense of accomplishment xD

And the reason why the canvas is this big is just so that if I ever want to add anything, I have the option for it. After I'm done, I'll change the dimensions to fit.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 12:37:25 pm
You could just use paintbucket and give the sections new colors, and then either use the right-click eraser on paint or turn of connected in photoshop and get rid of the antialias or give them a new color too. If you don't work on either program, I'm sure there are similar shortcuts in the program you -do- work in. Not knowing the proper shortcuts is not the best excuse to avoid fixing your mistakes. :u
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 02:21:59 pm
I like a lot about this. The construction of the calves is very solid. I also like the shoulder pads, and just the general theme.

But, things sort of fall apart around the torso area. Maybe it could use a but of a redesign, and a redraw. Overall I'd say it's the weakest link in the piece. Meaning, the perspective looks great at the legs but then you kinda look up at the hips/torso and it just falls flat. :\

sloppy example:

Others have talked about things like the coloring, but I think a bigger problem is that the posing looks very awkward. Personally I think I would have stopped after finishing the linework and given it another try until I got a better pose, but it looks like you're kinda invested now.

One question though, what is she supposed to be doing in the picture? I'd try to help think of a pose but I'm not sure what's supposed to be going on. It almost looks like she's correcting someone with the way she's gesturing her hand, or maybe just pointing upwards.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:21:35 pm by CrazyMLC »

Offline Semont

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 04:23:32 pm
@CrazyMLC

My god I never realized just how bad the perspective was. Thanks a lot for making that edit, I'll definitely have to do something about it.

If you don't mind can I adjust the positioning of the body by using your edit as reference? I'll throw in your name to credit if you want as well.

And it's true, the torso was just sloppily thrown in there because truthfully, I didn't know how to design it. I'll probably see what I can do about it.

Oh, and the pose? It's some stupid endearing thing just to make it look cute or stand out, that kinda thing.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 04:30:27 pm
Do what you like, and a spot in any credits or anything like that is completely unnecessary. I'm just glad you found my critique helpful. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 04:36:49 pm by CrazyMLC »

Offline Semont

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 05:51:45 am

Alright so I did some positioning adjustments.

I decided to keep the torso for what it was because

1. I couldn't come up with anything better.

2. Neither could other artists it seems when it came to mecha girls

The hip needs a bit more adjustment, I guess I'll post again when I feel like I've done enough work to warrant an update.

Offline Semont

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 06:31:16 am

-Changed the colour palette but there's still a ways to go
-Right now, the dark red is completely removed but I may reintroduce another red used to outline the flesh areas
-It's right forearm and hand pretty much done

Offline Semont

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 06:16:01 pm

Just some minor edits.

Note: I refer to the colours from left to right.

-Darkened blue2 and blue3, lightened blue4
-Lightened peach3
-removed the dark shading next to the neck, reduced shading on neck

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 09:56:05 pm
I think that this would be better as classic digital illustration. For me it looks more like pixelated regular drawing instead of pixel art. As Pix3M said, this is to big. Idea and drawing are good, and I see your effort to add shading to it, but even when you finish all AA it will still look more like blurry drawing then pixel art. Try to make the same character, but in resolution of 150x150px or 100x100px. It will be harder but 10 times better, I'm sure. :) 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:59:19 pm by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline Semont

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 05:49:20 pm
Sorry but I have no intention of stopping this.

-Redid Blue1-4 and Gray1-4 so that they scale properly with the lighting (basically looks normal in grayscale now)