AuthorTopic: Fatal Theory: Nick Animations  (Read 5694 times)

Offline wanderinghobo

• View Profile
    • Matt Concepts - My Portfolio Site

Fatal Theory: Nick Animations

on: January 07, 2013, 02:46:40 am
Hi,
I haven't done a review before, but I'm looking forward to a thrashing   :). I'm part coder and artist and keep making games to do the art, but the code takes up way too much of the time. So the art in most of those cases gets a 'good enough' and then moved past onto the next bit. It's pretty productive but its not good for learning. Our current game is a beat-em-up called Fatal Theory(http://www.2hitstudio.com/index.php/projects/fatal-theory) and the main character Nick could probably use some sprucing up. Probably a lot. Any advice on anything would help immensely!

I'll just worry about his run animation at this point:
-
Went with a 4 frame animation because, well, it was only me at this point and needed to save on time to try get the next bit of code done. But the code is all done now pretty much and only the art is left to go. I still want to keep it short, because there are a lot of enemies in this game. But hit with me everything, as I know it lacks a lot.

How all of the pixels currently look in game is like this:

The bold colours help the characters stand out and helped keep things simple, but they hurt me knowing I held back a lot of shading and flare a long the way. I'll try making newer renditions and posting back to this post as I get them done. Thanks for anyone who gives me some advice.

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: Fatal Theory: Nick Animations

Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 11:49:55 am
About the animation:

He looks like he's sort of limping. Maybe because his torso is jumping up and down? I'm not experienced enough in animation to say for sure.

I can't make much sense of the feet. I lose track of them. I think it's because the positions of the legs vary too greatly between frames. And maybe because the two legs aren't different enough (you could darken the one on the back).

His two hands look disconnected from the rest of his body. This is because the left hand is in a bad angle (shouldn't be 90 degrees against the handle, but instead angled (the wrist towards his left arm)) and because there's no arm (or part of it) attached to either hand.

About the art in general:

You should avoid lines that are wider than one pixel, unless it is necessary (like maybe between the shoes in the second frame of Nick's walking animation).

The highlights look mostly out of place (in the clothes of zombies and maybe Nick himself), but are okay in things like the soldiers' helmets. The rest, you could probably ditch without making much of an impact on the art (that will also make it faster for you to do the art)

Hope you found this helpful  :)

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 05:16:14 pm
Uniform 1px outlines, bit strange/repetitive backdrops and minimap tiles (placeholders?), straight color ramps. (Also, watching the video it might be a good idea to make the sidewalk behind the sprites a bit darker, which makes the scene read better and the sprites stand out.) I'm seeing right away the art in this game could be greatly improved.

But on to the edit. You should go back and focus on the execution of the still frame of the sprite before making the leap to its animation.

I know that it would take a whole lot of effort to revamp every piece of that art to the extent that I revamped this sprite unless you know your way around it, but there are still things in this edit that could be implemented without a style overhaul--in this instance, the forward-leaning pose, the individualized head and facial expression, new position of the hands and arms--but the pose tweak is the most important thing. You could do a different pose than the one I used and you probably should, but the point stands. It's the basis for an animation, so it should look animated! What you have there is stiff and upright where it has great potential to be exaggerated (and this sprite also has balance issues carrying the weapon like that). Ditto for the zombies, soldiers and boss sprite.

The in-game animations look a bit limited for similar reasons, even for very few frames, because it's mostly the arms and legs that seem to move and rotate, even in broad powerful weapon attacks! They need stronger lines of action. Aside from that, you could study weapon swings, punches, kicks, whatever you'll use, from real life and from beat-em-ups with some well-done animation. I'm looking at the promo art and you could pull these kinds of poses and animation off! You just need to have some forethought however.

Other things: Features were exaggerated a bit, like the hair, and the aforementioned stance, to contribute to the character's individual silhouette. (silhouettes example: remember this?) If these sprites aren't templates where you mix 'n' match parts, why not? Each sprite could use some individuality, or they become harder to tell apart.

I felt that the palette needed unification so I went for a "theme" color to stand out, in this instance, yellow-green for the gloves as well as goggles. A good dark, contrasting color was used for the rest of the sprite--dark grey, which even makes it into the face, and then maybe some accents. In that sense it has the colors and value range of maybe an 8-bit sprite, which makes it easier to read. Finally a colored outline ties it all together. Also note the tints in the face which mirror real faces.

Also some possible weapon positions indicated by those faint lines, if less straight lines is what you want--a tradeoff between showing the heavy weight of the weapon or the strong grip holding it up. You decide.

As for the run animation, I'm not too experienced myself but do take a look at Ptoing's walk and run cycle chart. If possible, also find a copy of the Animator's Survival Kit but only if you really want to look into that stuff, movement cycles and such.

I hope this post delivered.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:03:37 pm by pistachio »

Offline wanderinghobo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 10:47:38 am
Wow, thanks for the indepth reviews Pistachio and YellowLime. It might be a bit late to do a full overhaul of the art in the game, but I still want to learn from this review. I have a bit of a busy week, but I'll attempt a standing frame overhaul of Nick this weekend or sooner if time frees up.

Any reason you would use a coloured outline for a beat-em-up character Pistachio? Would it be something you would apply to all of the characters in the game or just the main?

Thanks again. I'll be back soon with some new pixels.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 05:19:24 pm
Using a colored outline has nothing to do with this being a beat em up, from what I'm guessing

using a solid black outline for everything on a sprite this small just tends to take away more (much much more) than it adds! That's not to say black is a completely useless color though, it's useful in the right context

this just happened to
you know
not be that context

Offline wanderinghobo

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 11:02:46 am
Ok, sorry its been so long. Its been very busy times for me. I hope this is getting closer for the main stance. I'm still not sure about the outline. I can see why the black outline is no good, but I'm imagining a coloured outline would look a little crazy in this game if each character had one.

Thanks for the help so far, I still need a lot more. This one might have used too many colours. If I can get this stance down, then I'll move onto animation.

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 03:04:56 pm
Hi there!

I think there are still some things you can work on as you said.

Made this edit to show some of what I would rework:

What I noticed first, or shall I say, didn't notice was his goggles. I would enhance them and show them a bit more cos right now they'r completely unreadable if you havn't had a look at the concept art. I could also not make out what kind of weapon he's using, I take it it's some kind of swordchainsaw. However at first glance is looks a lot more like a regular chainsaw. As pistachio showed in his edit (The blood looks wicked btw  :y:) he cleaned it up a LOT to make it more readable. I stepped a bit outside your choice of weapon, so just dont care bout that.  :crazy:

I also decided to dye his hair for the reason of it looking a bit dull. Perhaps even more like an old man then a teenage lad.

So my suggestion is that you make the hair more fluent and soft. The weapon more readable as a sword and more contrast between the dark and the bright colours.

GL
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 03:08:45 pm by coffee »