AuthorTopic: JesterTheCats work.  (Read 3660 times)

Offline JesterTheCat

• View Profile

JesterTheCats work.

on: December 02, 2012, 01:05:01 am
I work on the graphics team for GraalClassic I really want to improve on my pixel art. Elk and Dustys critique would be very appreciated. I could use some help on these last 2.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Re: JesterTheCats work.

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 07:01:58 am
Elk and Dustys critique would be very appreciated.

While those guys are indeed very talented pixel artists, to me, saying this is like a big 'fuck you' to everyone else.

Anyways, one thing I'm noticing immediately is that you have inconsistencies in your light sources. You are flipping and rotating the headgear to save time, and while that is often a viable solution to saving time and work, sometimes cleaning up is required. Because of the flipping/rotating, your light source is also flipping/rotating along with it, coming from left/right/bottom when the player is facing different directions, which is not how light should work.
Also, your Gingerbread man and Pumpkin Hat have the default light source coming from straight above, while the others are coming from above and slightly to the left.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 08:40:15 am
To anyone interested in the matter, here's a template for hats on Graal Online:

The red/green/blue bounding boxes are just left over from the heads being copied into the hat template. Gray boxes are, in fact, the bounding boxes for the hat. First row is the regular state, second row for when the player pulls on something (and the head typically bends back 90°, ugh), last one for when the player lies dead on the floor.

Welcome to the world of lighting inconsistencies.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 04:58:52 pm
Elk and Dustys critique would be very appreciated.

saying this is like a big 'fuck you' to everyone else.

Well, why not PM the concerned authors instead of creating a public thread then? I think this would probably prevent this somewhat awkward situation.

Just a suggestion.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 01:22:20 am
My first critique is, be more open for critique, don't limit yourself to a selection of factors that just prevent you from evolving

Secondly, don't save them as PNG24, thats way too heavy and not really neccessary, you can save 200% filesize if you save it properly...

And most importantly, my valued critique towards your hats: what the guys above said.

Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299