AuthorTopic: Bar scene corrections  (Read 14465 times)

Offline Volter9

• View Profile

Re: Bar scene corrections

Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 01:41:19 am
Sorry.

Here's my updated version:

That one better? Or still require improvement?

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 01:38:51 pm
Thats is much better..

You have little bit of perspective problem with the bar shelf. Try to do all thing with same perspective. I have little suggestion.. Lamps lighting would make your bar more atmospheric  :y:

« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 02:02:17 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Volter9

• View Profile

Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 01:59:27 am
Thank you very much!) Can I ask a question: Did you used some palettes to draw?

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 02:52:56 am
Visual Priority

is how a piece of art tells your eye what to do. Naturally, important things (foreground elements) should be at the top of the list. That way, the second you look at something, your eye immediately recognizes "I should be looking here".

There are a few ways to do this.

This is a striped box on a striped background.

1. They sort of run together a bit. It's obvious why- they're the same colors and have nearly identical features. If it wasn't for the two horizontal lines, the box would be nearly invisible. This has very little variation in visual priority.

2. Contrast- Look at a picture of a landscape. The further the land goes back, the more is dissipates into the atmosphere. That's about all there is to it. High contrast things stand out, and standing out is exactly what brings your eye to that thing.

3. Hue- This is basically the same principle as contrast, but this is not the one you want to rely on. It's still good to use, though.

4. Value- Also the same principle as contrast.

5. Shape- This can either be achieved externally (the silhouette, e.g. that circle) or internally (the pattern in the box). It's probably where your piece is the weakest. It has a lot of vertical lines, and with the background being at the same priority in most other aspects, they're very hard to separate.

6. Level of Detail- And back to the same principle as contrast. This is a big one for games. With a busy background, foreground elements easily get lost.

I'd go into more detail if I had the time but I don't. EDIT: That sounded really douchey, I hope it didn't come across too bad.

Offline Volter9

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 08:08:41 am
Thank you a lot!)  :)
I have another question: I created 64 (64 + 4 color of grays) palette, it's good for color restriction? Or I should use something like 32 or 16 color palette?

Palette:

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 12:59:34 pm
Thank you a lot!)  :)
I have another question: I created 64 (64 + 4 color of grays) palette, it's good for color restriction? Or I should use something like 32 or 16 color palette?

The number of colours you've got in the piece doesn't matter as much as which colours you pick. Beetleking has ~50 colours, but he picked them according to the elements he wanted to depict, rather than trying to have some pal=red(i)+blue(i)+green(i)

Plus, de-saturated colours are naturally 'in-between' and can largely be reused in different places of the image.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:07:24 pm by PypeBros »

Offline Volter9

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: December 04, 2012, 07:57:30 am
New update:

I think it's a little bit better, but there's a lot of colors (no restriction) and no using techniques.
It here's tutorials about pixel art techniques? Or how to choose right palettes?

Thank you very much for any responds.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: December 04, 2012, 08:03:41 am
That is a quantum leap forward. Nice job. Now apply the level of care and attention you put into the barstools, stairs, and chairs, into all the other aspects.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: December 04, 2012, 08:47:52 am
New update:

I think it's a little bit better, but there's a lot of colors (no restriction) and no using techniques.
It here's tutorials about pixel art techniques? Or how to choose right palettes?

Thank you very much for any responds.

Thats is pretty big improve there! Youu should learn color theory and Hue shifting if you want better colors.

Here is 2 good tutorial about pixel art colors.

Cure color tutorial:

http://www.pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299

Hue sifth:

http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=2836.0

Offline Volter9

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: December 05, 2012, 04:53:41 am
One question: when I shifting brightness, do I need to shift hue with the same amount as the brightness? Or I shifting it differently?
And one more question: how much colors do I need, to restrict my color palette?