AuthorTopic: Multiple images, one palette?  (Read 3082 times)

Offline Pizza Tom

• @pizzadramon
    • pizzatom
    • View Profile
    • Blag

Multiple images, one palette?

on: October 16, 2012, 09:35:08 pm
I'm trying to get a unified palette for a bunch of different images I'm working on, and I stupidly didn't try to set one up before I started. (Mostly because I'm not limited to any number of colors, I just want to keep it as low as possible)

Is there a way to easily grab palettes from multiple images in Graphics Gale, or am I just kidding myself that I'll find a way besides paint filling everything by hand?  :'(
pizzatom.tumblr.com
@pizzadramon

Formerly Regulus Awesome

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: Multiple images, one palette?

Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 11:15:34 pm
I know next to nothing about Graphics Gale, but if it were me I would compile all of the images into a single file then import the file to Grafx2. The image palette would then contain all of the colors and you could combine colors/delete colors/etc. from there.

Offline DawnBringer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 05:45:01 am
How many images and total number of colors do you have?
And yeah, Grafx2 has a lot of tools for dealing with palettes, f.ex you can copy selected colors from one palette/image to another (the spare). If your total number of colors don't exceed 256 you can build up a compilation of all the images with all colors 100% intact.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 12:16:29 pm
In addition to Cure's and DawnBringer's excellent posts, also be aware that color reduction algorithms normally weight the importance of an area of the colorspace by the number of pixels falling into that area. So, if some sprites' colors are more important than others, you can scale them up on the 'import sheet' to give their colors more priority in the final palette.

Once you have a palette generated, there are plenty of options for converting your RGB sprite work to it. There are batch processors specifically for this task; you can also use something like GIMP, where you can import the sprites and then convert them to your predefined palette using Image->Mode->Indexed.

An alternative approach to generating a palette would probably use DawnBringer's 'Fill colorcube'  or 'Expand colors' scripts (for GrafX2 -- is a separate package that needs to be installed, though.). You would pick out some 'key colors' that definitely needed to be in the palette, and maybe some 'peripheral' colors so the palette has good coverage of the RGB gamut... maybe you would get to having 32 or 48 colors. Then use one of the above two functions to automatically fill in the largest 'gaps' in your palette (which one, is a matter of experimentation I've found.). The result being a palette of however many colors you specify (128? 256?).
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.