AuthorTopic: Practice Spriting  (Read 4238 times)

Offline Juggernaut

• View Profile

Practice Spriting

on: January 26, 2013, 07:44:43 am
I'm a little new to spriting, not really new to art. Either way, I wanted to get into it a bit more and I'm a huge fan of the game Monster Hunter. I thought about how neat it would be if the game was more 2D with sprites so I decided to try my hand at it and practice. This is what I came up with.

The reference used is not mine, but is an armor from the game. I found this reference showed the details better than a low resolution screenshot could.

What do I need to work on? I know I got some of the details wrong and the shading is really iffy, but some help in the right direction would be helpful.

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Practice Spriting

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 10:56:28 am
There's some serious issues with your colours, first off you have 76 of them, you really shouldn't need more than say 16 for something like this, secondly the contrast really needs to get kicked up a good deal, you can barely see the shading on the blue parts, I just used the contrast tool in graphics gale but colours are powerful and you'll need to think about them a lot harder than I did. The shading itself isn't super descriptive, pixel art generally benefits from harder edges. Try not to hug outlines with highlights, it flattens the form, lighter colours come forward and the edge of a shape is usually the furthest away. The lineart could be a lot closer to the reference if you spent some more time on it, you've lost some of the more interesting curves. I didn't address this in my edit but black outlines inside the sprite should be avoided, they take up valuable space. You also have a good deal of banding (do a forum search). My edit is just a quick one on the arm and some of the midsection, ignore the chunks taken out elsewhere on the sprite, just a mistake of bucket filling.

Good luck.

Offline Juggernaut

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 08:50:38 pm
Thanks for the help and tips. I figured I had too many colors going on, and there isn't much contrast either. I also had a hard time finding references for shading shiny armor or metal that isn't painted. I got graphics gale a little while ago, but I don't know how to use it that well, its a bit confusing. I'll do an edit some time and see if I can get the details that I missed.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 12:39:51 am
From what I know about metals, the biggest thing about them is that they have lots of contrast. The darkest shadow is often just next to the border between shadow and light, and the shinier the metal, the sharper the border is.
With duller metals the shading is more like a rock, but I believe you are going for a shiny, polished look here. :o!

Edit: I just remembered someone reblogged real armor...
http://martwhim.tumblr.com/post/41477053971/spicyshimmy-deepredroom-because-everyone-is
The metal is black so that helps with it too, since you can observe how the color of the metal changes the shading around.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 12:41:48 am by Ymedron »
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 01:33:25 am
The problem with reflective material (which a suit of shiny metal armor is highly) in sprites and tiles, is that they typically depend on their surrounding environment to create a believable reflection. Usually a strip of black that you see in the material, is actually a black object close to it.

Not really advice, I guess; but something to consider and a problem I sometimes have a hard time with myself.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 02:36:53 am
That's true... However, I guess utilizing this would help with making the armor look better? It certainly has a more metallic feel when it reflects stark dark shapes around it.

I remember in the "making of" commentary of the first Narnia film, they had to dent and buff their armor so that it looked shiny but not reflective. Perhaps looking up pictures regarding to that could help?
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com