AuthorTopic: hate trees  (Read 27361 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: hate trees

Reply #40 on: July 03, 2006, 07:35:12 am
hm, well I can kinda see how you're salvaging the wall tiles with all the harshly lit windows that protude....and it works, but I think it is better to plan out your readablity whitout counting on variation tiles, since it IS a game we are talking about and readibility is the biggest issue.

I'd go with a gradient dark below, light above for the walls....I know how cheap it sounds but I'm not saying open up photoshop make a 25% visible layer and the put a gradient on it, I mean carefully pixel the details in such way that light is gradually greater towards the top :p (hey if it is good enough for boktai, why dont you give it a try?)

I say this because the way I see topdown tiling, it basically goes down like this....only one of the planes (by that I imply there's only two, vertical and horizontal) can be regularly lit and basically just show off texture. the way you have done your shading it seems the horizontal will be the one on your game, so the vertical plane (which also seems like it'll just pretty much be 1 block high in your game) by elimination must have gradual lighting....it also makes sense, because the vertical plane is the one where characters move in and they should have an interesting lighting situation  going on.

BTW, it's just an opinion but I prefered the old leaf pattern, I favor the more suggestive quasi-impresionist style because it gives a better sense of scale growth patterns and texture, it teases the brain much better than the new one.
to me the new trees look like a plastic bonsai from the unrealistically big, unrealistically structured and unrealistically well lit leafs. I seriously love the old foilage, it's a good example of where I think pixelart should go.

I know you'll probably just give me a "what I have is better for my idea of the game's aethetic" type excuse, but I felt it had to be said.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 07:44:39 am by Conceit »

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #41 on: July 03, 2006, 08:45:32 am
adding a gradient to the wall makes a lot of sense, we all know lighting gives the illusion of depth, I just wasnt sure if it would be necessary, so thanks :D
and the old trees, while I greatly prefer the idea of a cabbage tree-ish .. tree over whatever type tree my original was, I know what youre saying. Im still not quite happy with the trees, and trees always mess me up when I make tiles, but I'll get it sorted out eventually
I think after doing a couple more types of tiles I'll have an idea of the best way to do the leaves. but for now, and out of super boredom I present a mockup :D
pretty wierd resolution I know lol
and yeah its another LBA related image, but inspiration has to come from somewhere :P
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: July 03, 2006, 09:15:09 am
The industrial looking drums dont look a tad out of place? :p

ATM I like the trees.  Instead of rotating those tiles, maybe you could make rougher versions.  I mean like cracked and worn.  Have a few of those maybe.  Or just dont make them so uniform and straight, it looks really boring IMO.

The character needs a bit more saturation and/or contrast.  I dunno, I guess its up to you. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #43 on: July 03, 2006, 09:18:06 am
the barrels do look out of place, part of me thinks its because every rpg every made has had wooden barrels in it :P
and cracks on the tiles, I could do something similar to the grass highlight tiles to help break up the repetition, thanks :)
and the character sprite doesnt really matter lol

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: July 03, 2006, 09:23:15 am
You're welcome.  I don't much like the pine look on all the wood IE:  Really light brown.  My personal preference would to make the wood a darker shade of brown and ad some grain or rings in the wood. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #45 on: July 04, 2006, 05:37:28 am
I gave the walls a bit of a gradient:
at the moment I prefer .. might just be because Ive gotten used to it though..  :-\

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: July 04, 2006, 05:48:05 am
how about adding highlights on the top, instead of shadows on the bottom?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #47 on: July 04, 2006, 07:06:52 am
I didnt literally mean gradient. I only meant gradually increasing the light by making use of brighter and brighter details as you moved vertically on the wall. that is why I cited Boktai.

my bad I wasnt clear enough.

I dont think it necesarily has to be the top part that is brightest either, maybe it can be the other way around

maybe you should try other styles of shading on walls.

try it the other way around like Ryumaru suggests if you want...I dont know.Experiment, play with the idea.

my point was mostly that you should emulate a more complicated lighting situation to separate the walls from the floors
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 07:13:18 am by Conceit »

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #48 on: July 04, 2006, 02:15:22 pm
And seriously, get rid of those barrels. Just seeing them in there frustrates the hell out of me.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #49 on: July 04, 2006, 03:37:46 pm
And seriously, get rid of those barrels. Just seeing them in there frustrates the hell out of me.

Because they look so out of place?