AuthorTopic: Godhand  (Read 7673 times)

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Godhand

on: June 18, 2006, 12:15:04 am
I haven't posted anything in a while, so I figured i'd post a mockup I did, eariler:

Tell me what you think.
@darionmccoy

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Godhand

Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 02:47:56 am
Make a game!
Crits:

On the font, the inverse italic style makes it a bit hard to read in places, i would rather use a straight font, or if you wanna keep it italic make it 2 pixels wide.

The ships are too dark, they need to be seperated from the bg a bit more. it looks cool as is in a still shot but in an actual game it might be strain on the eyes and also confusing.

The beam looks killer.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 05:34:16 am
basically yeah, what ptoing said. And use separate palette for shots, don't use the same as ships. These are primal elements the mind must recognize instantly in shoot em ups.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 06:42:06 am
What they said. also, if this where an actual game, that beam would be a pain to animate.

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 07:58:49 am
5 more frame variations and a lot of mutation filters/blending and playing it FAST FAST FAST for 1 second and it would look amazing.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 01:40:48 am
Awesome!!  Way cool, looks like something that would have been right at home on the dreamcast...my only crit is the beams being shot out by the enemies are stylish but just look out of place - they look kind of...i dunno, they're neat designs but they don't look so much like dangerous projectiles to me.  You want your enemy bullets to be bright, easy to notice, and to look inherently dangerous!

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 01:51:12 am
Ptoing/Helm: Thanks, boobs.

Fox: Well, I would likely start from scratch, but emulating the structure of the beam. It would be difficult to animate around that frame, though. Thanks.

AdamAtomic: ... What? That doesn't make much sense. The projectile is pretty bright, too. Thanks, though.

Update:

@darionmccoy

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 02:03:56 am
i like this a lot, but i cant help but feeling that shooters thrive on palette variation and clear visuals.  as pretty as this is, it doesnt really have either.  maybe in-game though it will be clearer when they are all moving.....but the ships really need to stand out a lot more i think. the Homeworld series is a great example of how to use light and shadow on spaceships to make them stand out while also looking like they all fit.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006, 04:37:04 am
sorry, i guess I wasn't very clear!  the enemy projectiles just don't look like projectiles to me.  this is a fairly subjective thing, my opinion may just differ here!  However, I think if you simplified them some they could still be stylish and effective; I think mainly the elliptical "shield" type surface looks out of place to me - its uniform line-width make it seem more like a solid structure than a beam or laser or something.

I did a quick edit to hopefully show some of what I mean...

There is a ton of stuff I like about this so far, those enemy shots just weren't working for me!  I could be wrong though, I often am :)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 01:48:18 pm
Very nice. I like how you went in a totally different direction with the colour scheme and design than what is usual in shooters. The ship's colors are ok if it's supposed to be played at a size larger than 1x, not ok otherwise. The purple background adds a certain ambiance to it, but it makes it much harder to read -both ships and beams - , so i prefer the original black bg.

After a second look at it, the ships really could use a slight brightness boost. :)