AuthorTopic: Help with my pixel practice.  (Read 5584 times)

instant

Help with my pixel practice.

on: June 17, 2006, 08:03:42 pm
im working on something and i was wondering which sprite do you guys prefer out of these 3?

i was also looking for any advice on composition.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 05:14:01 pm by instant »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Help with my pixel practice.

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 08:14:23 pm
I prefer the 1st one.
The 2nd one looks a bit like gumby and his face lacks the space to express as much emotion as the others.
The 3rd one has legs which are at a similar angle as the arms, which make the whole body look stiff I think.

instant

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 08:17:29 pm
Thanks, do you have any comments on how i could improve these sprites?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 08:28:09 pm
these are gorgeous.  the first one is the best by far, too.  my only suggestion is that you make the light source over to one side, but even that isnt really necessary.  great job on these.

it may not be your style too but you could add flatly colored shadow areas i think would fit well with the style

heres kinda what i mean:

what are these for anyway? they are quite nice
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 08:33:36 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

instant

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 08:39:26 pm
these are gorgeous.  the first one is the best by far, too.  my only suggestion is that you make the light source over to one side, but even that isnt really necessary.  great job on these.

it may not be your style too but you could add flatly colored shadow areas i think would fit well with the style

heres kinda what i mean:

what are these for anyway? they are quite nice

Thanks, and i totally agree with the flat color- i still haven't mastered flat shading. your edit is going to be a major study tool ^^.

I think ill combine my current shading on the skin with that of the pants you shaded.- sadly i can't change the light source because the tiles are all shaded according to similar light sources. These are for a game project iim working on- Godborn online (www.godborn.com)

funny thing is that everyone on the forums seems to hate the first sprite because of its small legs, lol.

<Edit> when i think about it- any suggestions for a walk cycle?- im still trying to work that out, lol.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 08:50:56 pm by instant »

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 09:02:20 pm
I like the 1st one, too. I assume they're meant to be rpg style pseudo-overhead sprites, though, and if they are, they look too 'straight on', if you know what I mean. They appear to be staring straight at the viewer, as opposed to slightly down which would be straight ahead if we were looking at them from above.

In case that makes as little sense to you as it does to me re-reading it, i made a small example:

Currently, they're more like the one on the left, while the one on the right give more of a 'looking ahead' feeling, based on the assumed perspective.

Sweet sprites, though, and if they're not merant to be semi-overhead, even better. I'm really liking them alot so far.

instant

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 09:08:13 pm
I like the 1st one, too. I assume they're meant to be rpg style pseudo-overhead sprites, though, and if they are, they look too 'straight on', if you know what I mean. They appear to be staring straight at the viewer, as opposed to slightly down which would be straight ahead if we were looking at them from above.

In case that makes as little sense to you as it does to me re-reading it, i made a small example:

Currently, they're more like the one on the left, while the one on the right give more of a 'looking ahead' feeling, based on the assumed perspective.

Sweet sprites, though, and if they're not merant to be semi-overhead, even better. I'm really liking them alot so far.

Thanks, and I understand what you mean. Im going to check with the other developers regarding that comment.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 09:28:49 pm
Yeah, definately the first one.  Couldn't resist playing around with it:

mostly fine tuning stuff.  Mostly concerning colored outlines.  I don't think you should keep colored outlines as a sytematic process--at the very least, not on the inside of the sprite.  Outlines are for defining different shapes and objects when the colors are too close and may make them blend together.  The difference between most clothes and skin in color will be great enough that you won't need the outlines (also you should have had a green colored outline for the shorts instead of the blue).  Also you will benifit greatly by using darker colors to suggest width instead of having a uniform outline.

These are great though.  For your walk cycle try one out and we'll help you if you need it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 09:32:03 pm by Darien »

instant

Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 09:41:20 pm
Thanks for your input darien, I think  what needs most help is the overall perspective. I need it to fit this...

http://www.godborn.com/images/tiles05.png

. Thanks in advance everyone. ^^

<edit> i love what you did with the pants darien- im doing a couple edits of my own.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 09:45:24 pm by instant »

Offline dyuaru

• Funkitized!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 09:52:35 pm
Wow the artwork for this game looks amazing. Of course, like the others, I agree that the first set is t best. The legs may be think but with the chibi-ish style keeps it looking good. Can't wait to see this game in action  ;D
-Okashii Game Development-

instant

Reply #10 on: June 17, 2006, 10:44:22 pm
I just made a few edits (see bottom)

* I just added the female sprite.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 05:24:46 am by instant »

instant

Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 05:25:21 am
I just edited my topic- so here is a bump.

instant

Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 05:10:59 pm
We just decided to use the sprites with the larger heads. I came up with a few equips. c&c please.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 05:58:34 pm
I don't like this newest one you're going with at all... well besides the way you've changed the outlining.  They look bowlegged and bow armed and it looks way unnatural.  Also the way you segmented the arms from the torso  looks square and robotic.