AuthorTopic: [WIP] 8-Bit 16x16 2-Frame GBC RPG Sprite [C+C]  (Read 11737 times)

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] 8-Bit 16x16 2-Frame GBC RPG Sprite [C+C]

Reply #10 on: September 11, 2012, 02:47:31 am
I think it might help you with this animation to first try a larger sprite, say, 32 x 32. I think you can see a lot that you cannot see right now, that will later help you to make a 16x16 sprite.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #11 on: September 11, 2012, 02:04:16 pm
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:41:07 pm by AlexHW »

Offline Vakinox

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 12, 2012, 03:50:20 am
@buddy90: It would definitely make it easier and good for practice, however as long as I've been doing this, this is probably the best of my abilities sad to say. Also, this sprite is something I've been working on since March, atleast half a year, as my post history would indicate. It'll be ashame to toss progress so far for a complete redo now, which will not even be what I want. Practice has been done numerous times, I'm working with what I can now. Thanks for the suggestion though. It's the thought that counts.

@AlexHW: Thanks, took alot of trial and error to make 'em the way they are now. Currently using 4 frames to precisely do as you say and make the animations more fluidly, and then trim them down to 2 frames as originally intended. The biggest problem lies with the East-bound animation because a 4 frame animation seems impossible for a sprite at that size and the position it's in.

[Update:]

I reworked on the East and North animations.
On the East animation, I repositioned the hands. This time they don't do as much movement and stay more so in place (still unfinished).
On the North animation, I finally completed the arms, and now have work to do on the pants. Made some headway though.

Any edits or advice would be really helpful. Thanks to all who contribute.

I've done the best I could do with the latest update.

If anybody can please help do some minor edits to these last animations, it'll be greatly appreciated.
Here's the progress made so far:

North-bound Edits:
* Apparently the "hop" that's normally put in animations to aid the illusion of movement affects the pants region too much, thus was taken out.
* A base for the pants/legs has been laid down, I think it actually looks alright. The problem: Highlights.
The may be other problems still within the animation, but I'm having trouble singling them out at the moment.

East-bound Edits:
* Base for the pants/leg region has been laid down. Having problems creating highlights for this one also.
So far, it's looking pretty much finished. Just needs some minor edits to the hands and shading for legs.

If anybody can please make some edits to this sprite, even give advice on how to fix it, I'll be in your debt.
Please help, anybody.

North-bound Edits:
*Re-added the head bop. Instead of moving the head downwards, it now moves forward towards the chest.
* Highlights to the base were added. Still not perfect, but it's in progress.

East-bound Edits:
* Took a few pixels off the stretch of the foot.
* Highlighted the base. Improvements made, but still could use work.
* Edited the arm.

No edits were made to the South-bound animation.
Though the more I look at it, the more the arms bother me.

[Progress:]

« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:49:42 am by PixelPiledriver »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 10:20:33 am
Here's my attempt to fix it:

-> walk up had seriously curious thing happening with the dude's bum. I also massively reduced the arms as the fists are on his fore side.

-> That one was mostly good, only curious things were happening to the pants. I tried to keep "rear leg = shadowed leg". Okay, you can't give the illusion that he's walking "normally" anymore, but at least one should better read pixels below his belt. I also altered hands so that they keep the same size. That gives him maybe a funny attitude, as someone who'd keep elbows high and fists ready to fight (reverting to square fist could be useful here. I thing that's not too bad for a RPG hero.

-> : just reduced the amount of moves the arms do ... for some reason, the animation is screwed up on this one, unfortunately. I have overdone pants separation, I'm afraid.

And here you go: Largo is ready to save Tokyo from ultimate destruction ^_^
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 10:23:59 am by PypeBros »

Offline Vakinox

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 05:09:50 pm
Thanks bro, and awesome job on the East-bound animation.
Took me for a spin, really helped out.
Went back though and did some more editing.
Starting to look really great. So again, thanks man.

[North-bound edits:]
Lol, yeah I've been having the same exact butt-problem too.
And thanks for the heads-up on the arms, it helped me fix and notice some more things.
There was still problems I thought though with both the arms and pants.
I enlarged the arms and gave them highlights.
I also gave the pants a different pattern, though it could still use some fixin.

[East-bound edits:]
Like said before, your addition really did wonders.
The only thing edited here was the pants a bit.

[South-bound edits:]
I tried to combine your update with the older version.
Most of the newest edits actually made it better.
The more I look at the animation though, the more the arms seem wrong.
Everything else looks fine, don't know what else to do for the arms though.

So, how does it look? Getting any better?

Lol, awesome webcomic by the way... had me sold at robot army. :)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 05:36:45 pm by Vakinox »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 09:39:03 pm
So, how does it look? Getting any better?
I think so. You still have some issue with the pants, imho. I don't know what you're trying to render with the north-walk, maybe if you could link to a photo of the kind of trousers you're character is supposed to wear, it'd help. You're keeping the same color everywhere, here, with just some pattern that moves left & right. I'd expect the leg that goes forward to go in the shadow when looking at the guy's back, instead.

your front (south) walk is almost ready, imho. You may just have a bit too much separation between the two legs. I.e. the trousers just under the belt bums&hips) will not move into shadow and should have almost the same shade through the whole anim. I'd suggest some not-too-dark grey there.

Btw, you're using 4 colour + alpha on your sprite. Iirc, NES and GBC are 3 colour + alpha...

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 01:56:17 am
due to a plea for help, I've spent some time doing an edit

I'm not sure if you're commited to 2 frames or not, here's a 3 frame animation alternating 1-2-1-3
with the back though it's still 3 but mostly 2 and 3 are just flipped, but unique due to not flipping the hair

hope that helps

Offline Vakinox

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 04:49:51 am
Thanks it did help, ALOT. Then I spent the whole weekend trying to convert it after finding out my restrictions had less colors than what I originally thought.
After attempting to redraw them to the required restrictions, this is the only one that came out alright:

---
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 01:46:56 am by Vakinox »

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #18 on: September 18, 2012, 12:29:32 pm
Relax.
Games are tough.
Learn to like the ups and downs.
The end result of a product is awesome but you gotta enjoy the grind to get there smoothly.

Then I spent the whole weekend trying to convert it after finding out my restrictions had less colors than what I originally thought.
What are your restrictions exactly?
Perhaps you are trying to program a GB rom?
Something like that?

I fucking tried my best on this shit and it ain't enough
Is it really that bad?
I don't think so.
Shipping a game in a timely manner sometimes means certain parts of the game doesn't reach its full potential.
Quantity and quality is a balance.

What kind of other stuff does your project need?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 12:47:20 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline buddy90

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 18, 2012, 04:34:04 pm
Look, you already figured it out. I got your "skating" one, and it only needed one edit. On the second frame, you forgot to move his head a pixel down. I took the last frame, flipped it, moved the head a pixel down, flipped the hair so it matches the other frames, and made it the second frame.

That's all.