AuthorTopic: Feature 09 - Autumn Tileset WIP - Forest tileset  (Read 134501 times)

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: Autumn Tileset WIP - Struggling with Rock texture

Reply #30 on: September 15, 2012, 10:59:28 pm
Great! :D, really convincing modelling.

You could still retain the rounded look you seemed to favour previously if you wanted, but the super sharp perfect-angle look does match the tree from earlier. Perhaps the edge highlights are a little excessive/uniform (stone isn't usually so reflective) and you could consider reflected light to help define corners/undersides as well Snake does this a lot in Owlboy but much improvement already.

How does it look in context?

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: September 16, 2012, 10:30:23 am
Great! :D, really convincing modelling.

You could still retain the rounded look you seemed to favour previously if you wanted, but the super sharp perfect-angle look does match the tree from earlier. Perhaps the edge highlights are a little excessive/uniform (stone isn't usually so reflective) and you could consider reflected light to help define corners/undersides as well Snake does this a lot in Owlboy but much improvement already.

How does it look in context?

Jep I agree there is too much edge highlights and Imo those rocks look too sharp with edge Highlights... If I remove those Highlights it does looks little bit like a empty.. If i want to put reflected light I must have to use a less bright colors right? So the dark to light method is very useful there.

Here is another try..
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 05:31:52 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: September 19, 2012, 01:26:27 pm
Little update: Any critic?

I got little inspiration from Alex Hanson-White rock.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:17:58 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 08:16:40 pm
I would use the highlights more sparingly, you should pay attention that you build up a visual priority in your tilesets. Think about what should attract attention and what shouldn't. Gameplay elements usually have the highest priority and backgrounds the lowest. These rock-walls are background elements and thus shouldn't attract too much attention. Attention is created by contrast, details/noise and depth. These highlighted edges are probably a bit much.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 08:20:39 pm by Mr. Beast »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: September 19, 2012, 09:29:47 pm
I would use the highlights more sparingly, you should pay attention that you build up a visual priority in your tilesets. Think about what should attract attention and what shouldn't. Gameplay elements usually have the highest priority and backgrounds the lowest. These rock-walls are background elements and thus shouldn't attract too much attention. Attention is created by contrast, details/noise and depth. These highlighted edges are probably a bit much.

Yeap I agree.. Many have said in this theard that those wall rock has too much highlight.. Im trying now avoid them much ass possible.

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 04:52:01 am

I honestly prefer the original version (EDIT: of the small rock) more. The colors, the little blue-green highlights. I think they probably fit better in your game's world, too.

You can change the highlights and colors to match the look of the cliff wall, but I honestly think you should keep them.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:53:36 am by Dr D »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 06:09:34 am

I honestly prefer the original version (EDIT: of the small rock) more. The colors, the little blue-green highlights. I think they probably fit better in your game's world, too.

You can change the highlights and colors to match the look of the cliff wall, but I honestly think you should keep them.

I really didn't like those small rock.. they looked like sawn tree trunk more than rock to me.
This is how it looks with new rocks.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 06:11:41 am by Beetleking22 »

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 07:41:36 am
haha, didn't even notice that the old one had rocks in them.

Little color edit, reduced the greens a bit and increased the blues.

The problem with green is that green is perceived much brighter than any other color so they overshadow all the other colors when used to that amount. (Blue is the weakest of all colors, so it primarily just adds a certain tint.)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:45:24 am by Mr. Beast »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 08:44:01 am
I really didn't like those small rock.. they looked like sawn tree trunk more than rock to me.

Imho, the new rocks are technically superior. Small leaves on the top and enough grass/leaves at the base looks to be the key to make them integrate the mock up well (larger one may need slightly more grass on the bottom and the left).

They make the overall mockup significantly more busy, though, as they are larger. Your somehow moving your mockup from "close to the forest" towards "close to the mountains" with them.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: September 20, 2012, 10:41:20 am
haha, didn't even notice that the old one had rocks in them.

Little color edit, reduced the greens a bit and increased the blues.

The problem with green is that green is perceived much brighter than any other color so they overshadow all the other colors when used to that amount. (Blue is the weakest of all colors, so it primarily just adds a certain tint.)

Thats looks more better  :y: What program did you use in that? That does not look like adobe photoshop.
Quote from: PypeBros

link=topic=14624.msg135480#msg135480 date=1348130641

Imho, the new rocks are technically superior. Small leaves on the top and enough grass/leaves at the base looks to be the key to make them integrate the mock up well (larger one may need slightly more grass on the bottom and the left).

They make the overall mockup significantly more busy, though, as they are larger. Your somehow moving your mockup from "close to the forest" towards "close to the mountains" with them.

Thank you pypebros I agree with you it needs more grass/leaves. I must make also small rock because large rocks are only suitable for certain places..