AuthorTopic: portfolio website WIP (Updated!)  (Read 15432 times)

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

portfolio website WIP (Updated!)

on: June 17, 2006, 04:01:04 am
i'm trying to come up with a decent looking portfolio site for myself.  Photobucket just isn't cutting it.  I was looking through some old art of mine and thought that these tiles might be a cool little web theme....that plus i was just too lazy to make some original work for my site.  Either way - i'm not exactly sure if this is a good concept for a portfolio site to begin with.  Am i heading in a wrong direction here?  C+C?

EDIT==================================

most recent version:
www.indigo.spriteart.com

END-EDIT===============================

PS - Tiny Giant inspired lettering in the pic.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 10:28:48 am by Indigo »

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Re: portfolio website WIP

Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 04:13:57 am
I don't know why you always keep Mr. Stubbs there, he simply looks unfinished and poorly thought out, and he looks like he's doing squats.

I don't know about the generic platformer portfolio design.  It certainly looks fine, but something simpler and clean would work just as well, if not better, I think.  Too much fluff will detract from the pieces you're putting on display.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 05:07:48 am
I suggest either lose the coins and the multilevel top, or have the coins and put in A LOT MORE platform game elements than just two boxes and coins.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 05:21:41 am
thanks guys for the comments

Helm:
I definately agree with you.  I just was talking with st0ven about it actually and he suggested something quite awesome: Basically the whole top part of the site would be a playable mini-platformer game.  (no scrolling and such)  You just have a character that can jump around the top part of the website collecting ever-reappearing coins and squashing some ever-spawning baddies.

Darien:
"Mr. Stubbs," as you so call him, has alot of sentimental meaning to me.  -And are you racist against the no-handed midget cultures out there?!  (i'll fix him up a bit).  Also i think the playable platformer idea would justify the "generic platformer portfolio design"

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 05:26:19 am
put a score counter on it, and make more baddies spawn the longer you last and you've got a great minigame.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 06:00:42 am
Heh that sounds really cool actually.  I agree that would justify it, looking forward to it

Offline Retro

• Tropical.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 07:58:48 am
Yeah, nice idea on the header. Would be very imaginative.

Don't make a very complex platform game at the top though, especially for Dial-up users, it would lag the site. Unless you used flash xD Then have a loader or something. Sounds awesome, Indigo.
Retro Pro

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 09:34:09 am
 Great work indigo. If I could make all the coins look the same, I would put a shine on it or increase it's contrast since it's pretty metal.

Offline .ImygE

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 03:50:43 pm
I like the idea of the top being playable.  I don't think I've ever seen that on a website before.  My only crit, other than whats already been said, is the top left part of the screen looks empty, I'd suggest putting a bigger logo up there. But good work.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #9 on: June 17, 2006, 04:12:17 pm
The idea of the playable top is very original and cool, and the tiles are quite nice, but at they're current size and composition/design, they steal too much attention from what would be presented below. I'd tone them down, reduce the size - both width and specially height of the "playing field", or use some other trick to that end that I'm sure you can come up with :)