AuthorTopic: Lowpoly chibby car  (Read 8161 times)

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Lowpoly chibby car

on: July 29, 2012, 11:55:52 am
Hey, this is something I made some time ago. A racing game in which the cars were nothing but chibby versions of real cars.
in this case Im just showing the Ferrari Enzo
this screenshot is taken from inside Max and with a shader that the coder at the time made for the project.

it never when further then the prototype.

the texture is painted with static lighting, with an ambient oclusion as a base for the shading and so far all the parts use the same material, so the windows reflect as much as the body, wich I may change should this model ever get anywhere.

here it is without the reflection pass

and here is the wireframe.

the body is 888 polys and 480 vertices. the wheels are 40 polys each.
Image size doesn't matter! It's what you do with your pixels that counts!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Lowpoly chibby car

Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 10:39:35 pm
Poly is a bit unspecific. How many tris? The wheels are also way too shiny.

Otherwise this is cute.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 11:51:58 pm
its 888 tris. I always count tris. sorry for not clarfying
do you mean the tires? or the rims? the tires are ridiculous, yeah :)

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 06:16:27 pm
quite nice modelling, like the proportions, and the texturing is effective, what's the size of your UVs/Textures?

and those shader effects are pretty intense, reflection mapping or just ramps? or unsure, agree that the shine on the rubber is entirely illogical, and seeming as the wheels are separate meshes shading on them would be even easier to change/keep seperate, using a texture as an intensity mask for the effect is a good way to go, so that the windows and body and lights exposed chrome etc can all have different intensities of reflectivity

if you have the time Unity might be easy enough for you to pick up and make a racing game demo within a decent timeframe without any coding experience, and no real need to learn any either you could likely get by using pre-existing scripts and tutorials if you had the time and drive :)

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 12:28:41 pm
Yello.

Cool car ;D Maybe turn down the intensity of your reflection/rim shader? I feel it undermines the nice texture you painted and highlights the car's polycount.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 06:34:42 pm
Eh, I don't blame him on the shader. When it comes to cars people like shiny shit. I feel the reflection on the car itself fits with what people want to see when they see a car, especially with such a fancy-ish design(albiet chibi) he has going. However, I think what's missing is the reflection not taking into consideration the road. Typically you get bright speculars from the sky, but you'll also get a very sudden and sharp contrast of dark(or absence) when the lower half of the car reflects the dark road. But ya, gotta get rid of it on the wheels. They need sheen, but not reflection.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 10:04:22 am
learning some shading techniques yourself will be well worthwhile, as an artist you'll be able to tweak it much more subtly than guiding a programmer,
this took nigh on 20 minutes

the top one has the reflectivity map as a stencil/intensity map for the specularity/diffuse intensity which will mimic exactly what dusty said about having darker reflectivity tones on the lower half due to the road/environment, the bottom one also has this to some subtle degree because the nature of the reflectivity/environment map used, but the rim specularity is gone, which I painted in moments, there are many ways to do it, this method is actually quite cheap and has no real code, it's all material shader settings and texture maps didn't need to right a single line of shader code

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 11:23:13 am
this is the sort of reflection map Im using.

the engine that is rendering that (on the viewport) is Flare3D. a flash 3d engine.
the shader uses a texture as base, and then an environment map displayed as spherical, wich I like because I can add this sort of rim lighing to the model.

in this case it may be a bit extreme, I agree.
this is not the specific one Im using but its similar.

the file is on another computer

But I think flare actually has a planar reflection mode wich could use the example that Grimsane gave, so I might go around and try that.
right now is mainly based off reflection probes.

I should post the others as well though

this is ascreenshot of all the cars, but some are not using any reflection at all, the other as just using a texture with no light, and having the lights in the scene privide with simple highlights

Offline Kazuya Mochu

• ^thx Larwick
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio website

Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 11:55:10 am
Heres an image of the car reworked a bit, on the reflection maps basically

you also have at the bottom the textures Im using.
the texture of the car it self it too hirez for lowspec environments so please ignore that. it hasn't been treated like it should since the project was abandoned.

the little spots on the body's reflection map provide with the ocasional highlight streak going across the mesh, which I quite like :)

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: August 26, 2012, 02:00:58 am
WOW! That rework is so sexy looking! Are reflections always handled like this? I'm new to modeling and everything around it.