AuthorTopic: New, seeking help...  (Read 8767 times)

Offline taarna23

• View Profile

Re: New, seeking help...

Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 09:03:43 pm
I dunno, the feet and arms bug me. And it doesn't much look like a relaxed stance. I don't know many people that stand around with their elbows bent.

Offline GOODNIGHTdestroyer

• Unf Unf.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 11:13:07 pm
Dude, Taarna, the edit is very nice. Learn from it.
And I am finally seeing that you were the one worth eating.

Offline dyuaru

• Funkitized!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 12:04:57 am
Well look at it this way, everything that the others post on this forum are to help you out. They're not saying anything bad about your sprite but are just giving their own input on it, dont take it like they think everything is wrong with your sprite. Personally I think that Davids edit looks quite natural and a good basic standing pose and a bit more natural than yours since some parts of your sprite need work. (anatomy wise)
Its not bad and could turn out to be quite a good sprite once it is finished.
-Okashii Game Development-

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 02:23:54 am
This is true -- I like David's edit as well (everything but the shading). I just didn't think it was the relaxed-type stand you're looking for...but your stance also is stiff. Think about the character, and how he would actually stand if he was at rest, and try to represent that. (I like the edits -- David's looks enthusiastic and Monsoon's looks aggressive. Even if you don't use their stance, take note of how they show emotion in the stance).

Offline taarna23

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 03:07:10 am
I never said that it was wrong, as I so obviously am in having an opinion. I'll endeavor to learn from the above and by viewing, from now on. I'm sorry to have wasted your time.

Edit: Alright, my friend told me that this forum can be really helpful. He also told me I should study Monsoon's edit for shading purposes, whether I like the style or not. I did. If someone here had mentioned that, maybe it would have been helpful. Please, keep in mind, this is basically the first sprite I've ever gotten so close to finishing, and not just my first post here.

I altered shading, extended the arms a little (thanks CrumbBread, it actually kinda surprised me), added some stuff, removed other stuff, and generally tried to make it look better. I'm sorry if I'm not up to par with you people that have done art for years, but I'm trying to learn.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 05:50:30 am by taarna23 »

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 17, 2006, 04:42:08 pm
Nobody here is saying that you aren't up to par. There is no par =P

Look what has happened since you posted here -- your sprite has improved magnificently in only several days and is now very beautiful (IMO). He has pleasing depth now n'everything =)

Your friend is right =) Stay here and continue learning.

I understand that you're tense with nervousness because it's your first sprite and everything. But if you're interested in improving, take criticism as help instead of personal insult -- if you go back and read the replies objectively, you'll see that it's legitimate C&C and that people are giving it because they want to help you =) And the results show that it's worked =D

(And you sure aren't wrong for having an opinion -- look at Alex Hanson White, who continues his mad course of low-saturation work because he thinks that it is fun. *But* he doesn't get offended when people suggest that he increase the contrast ^_^)

You don't have to listen to C&C if you don't agree with it. Personally I am glad that you listened to the shading crits, and I am glad that you did *not* listen to the pose crits (for the reasons I mentioned previously).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 04:51:09 pm by CrumbBread »

Offline taarna23

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 17, 2006, 08:05:17 pm
Thanks. I'm working on a diagonal view, but I suspect he needs some angle help. He kinda looks like a piece of paper right now.

The hat and the head. That's what bugs me.