AuthorTopic: New, seeking help...  (Read 8768 times)

Offline taarna23

• View Profile

New, seeking help...

on: June 15, 2006, 06:28:05 am
...and I know my sprites need help. I need practice, and people to point out what needs help. So... Thank's what I'm here for.

...I admit I'm nervous showing off anything I've done publicly.   :-\

It's supposed to be a .hack twin blade. I did it mostly from memory, because otherwise I would try to put too much detail into too small a space, hate what I was trying to do, and not save it. Not what I wanted.

PS - I hate feet. So I know he looks like he's standing on buttons. I was also too lazy to transparent it yet.  :P

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: New, seeking help...

Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 07:09:37 am
No reason to be ashamed to upload anything, it is a given that with practice you will improve.  I'd put more detail in the face and work on that static pose first off.  The detail on the jeans looks more like veins than folds at the moment, I'd concentrate more on the shadow of the folds than the highlights.

Offline taarna23

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:23:45 am
Actually, they aren't folds, they're meant to be dyed-in markings on the pants. Kinda like the star on the top of the hat.

Edit: Here, I did some work on it, made the tunic look more like a tunic, added some hair sticking out of the hat, adjusted the shadow of the face and gave it some highlights, and modified the eyes and shoes.

Edit2: Tried to give legs and torso some dimension. Going to bed now.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 09:40:02 am by taarna23 »

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 06:25:24 pm
Lil' anatomy crit (you could chalk the difference up to style but I think it would look better if the anatomy was more correct) -- his hands should hang down to about halfway between his waist and knees.

It is a solid beginning. I like it =) It doesn't have that flair of excellence -- but unfortunately, none of my stuff has that flair either, so all I can do is advise you to keep searching. Look into shifting some colors around, because right now they look alright, but they aren't going to "wow" anybody.

(I also agree that the post could be more interesting -- he looks a little like a plastic action figure right now...one of the ones without bendable joints).

As for nervousness -- you put forth a good effort, and there's noticeable improvements in your edits. You don't have to be a magnificent pixel artist in order to be an asset to the forum. Not a single thing to be ashamed of in your art or your attitude =)

Things to fiddle with: try using colored outlines *inside* the sprite instead of black ones (like at the shoulders and waist and neck) and try using some sharper shadows (there's a subtle top-left lightsource right now, but I think you could give it more depth). Not saying those things WILL be better, but they will at least be good practice ^_^

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 07:03:41 pm

I made an edit. Hope it helps. I just tried to give him a more natural pose and to give him more consistent shading.

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 07:12:12 pm
David, that pose does have more character (though I dunno if I'd call it more "natural"), but you have gone and pillow-shaded him!

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 07:25:30 pm
Oh.

Offline taarna23

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 07:28:55 pm
No offence, but he looks like he's about to break into a jig or something. It's... not really the look I was going for...

This type of character is what I was attempting to recreate:
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/5687/xddwal575um.png
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 07:36:20 pm by taarna23 »

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 07:53:44 pm

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 08:24:32 pm
Since it sounds like you won't be referencing David's edit, I went ahead and played with his.

Shame. I really like his edit.