AuthorTopic: Robo-Puzzle Platformer  (Read 3132 times)

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Robo-Puzzle Platformer

on: July 17, 2012, 02:53:23 am
I can never seem to focus on one thing long enough, I swear...

Tiles/sprite for a simple puzzle platformer. I think the idea will be that you have to avoid pressing the big red buttons. This is just a super-simple mock-up for now but I'll be posting my progress here, and I'd love feedback.

Walk cycle! Not a very good walk cycle but hey, I can work on it from here, anyway. I'm not sure the pixely look works, I may go back and smooth out the limbs somewhat.

Less slidey with a bit of lift to the feet, maybe? Still pretty silly.

Seeing how it looks in proper motion... not as bad as I thought, for a robot, at least.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 07:50:12 am by Cupcake »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Robo-Puzzle Platformer

Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:18:21 am
won't that be a little too slow as an animation ?

I mean, you could use a robot that use wheels if you don't want to go for a higher frame count, but if legs are an important part of your design, you'll need something that make the robot move faster.

Oh, and don't be afraid of hues, btw. Tint all those grey blocks. blue-greys, yellow highlights ... use it to give atmosphere in your game ^_^

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:52:34 pm
Woops, I should've been clearer about that. That won't be the actual rate of motion in-game, that's just something I banged together last night to see how the frames looked. It'll be faster with less space between steps in-game. I may increase the frames to make it smoother though, I'm uncertain for now - I wanted to start with something a bit stiff and robotic.

I tried playing with the colors in a few different ways...

They all have the contrast between highlights and shadows increased, with the top left being nearest to the original, and from there I tried tweaking the color balance. To be honest though I think I still prefer the original palette, this comes off feeling a little off to me but I'll see if I can't get it to a point I like when I'm back from class.

Though the more I look at this the more the top-right variant grows on me. Hmm. I may see where I can go with that.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 03:22:03 pm
Though the more I look at this the more the top-right variant grows on me. Hmm. I may see where I can go with that.

Do be afraid of pushing more purples in the back layer.

(I may have exagerated the effect, but purple/blue = far in our brains. Green/reds would produce an opposite effect).

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:38:53 pm
A simple crit I have is you could up the contrast and do more with hue shifting- just a very quick and terrible example:

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 06:10:37 pm
I think Friends contrast edits are quite nice and have a retro 8bit feel and bottom left in particular is somewhat reminiscent of the NES palette, I think in this case it's more appealing than the washed out pastel tone approach