AuthorTopic: Some Boy  (Read 4298 times)

Offline Retro

• Tropical.
    • View Profile

Some Boy

on: June 14, 2006, 01:36:12 pm
Hey,

I started out new yesterday. Im 16 and have been game designing for a while now. I really want to get into some design that I can apreciate.
I made this yesterday:

I know it isn't very good, and judging by the rest of the threads here I am going to stand out as being rubbish for a while. I would love to see some edits, maybe a comment on something I did right [if anything] and feed back on what I should sthink about when trying again.

Thanks guys :)
Retro Pro

Offline Noobinator

• View Profile

Re: Some Boy

Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 02:46:48 pm
I am pretty new myself, but I have a few comments to make...

When you are starting out I suggest doing bigger sprites. It takes a LOT of skill to fit in a lot of detail into such a little amount of pixels. My first impression when I saw it was that it was flat that is because you have flood filled great proportions of the boy, and then added a few darker pixels to the left hand side...I dont know what perspective you were trying to achieve with this, however the waistline still needs to be curved to show that the body does actually go round instead of being completely flat...

I also think the body is a bit too square...

My suggestion is to remember where the light source is and this will also make parts of the body lighter, as well as one side darker...look at other sprites with a similar perspective from yours and see how they draw them. Then draw some in the same style as theirs. Once you get competant with that, edit your sprites so that they fit into your own unique style...

Sorry if my advice is a bit confused, but I am starting out myself too...

Offline Retro

• Tropical.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 03:28:22 pm
Thanks man! I really thought about it and I'm going to have another go soon. I think that taking into account that it looks a little too flat, it needs more of a light source and i need to try and make it less 'squary' i could get a little better :)

I'll update soon :)
Retro Pro

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 04:00:19 pm
You also need *way* more contrast -- I couldn't even see the darker red on the body 'til I zoomed in. (Even moreso for the skin tone).

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 04:06:02 pm
Hi welcome to the forum and pixelart, Very nice for starting out some crits:

Your sprite doesn't have enough contrast, so just bump that up.

You're using black outlines inside the guy if get rid of all the outlines
inside the sprite you will have more room for detail.

The eyes are one pixel too high for me, just remember that eyes (on a human) are on the middle of the face.

It would give it more depth if His(our right) left foot only used the darkest shoe shade.

And some comments:

your colors are not too saturated(most early pixelartists have a problem with this).

You aren't pillowshading you have a lightsource.

Offline Retro

• Tropical.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 04:24:46 pm
Thanks you guys. I needed that. Sontrast you mean light and dark colours?

I struggle at line art, has anyone got tips for smooth line art?
Retro Pro

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 05:32:32 pm
Contrast means the DIFFERENCE in brightness between two colors (so you can increase contrasts by making your brights brighter, your darks darker, or both).

Offline Retro

• Tropical.
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 08:14:25 pm
Thanks Crumbs! I got it a little better, also sort of brought out the eyes a little more. Made them bigger. Does it work?

Retro Pro

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 08:20:31 pm
Yes, that's better, but the red midtone could still be brightened up a bit, and the skin could use some more contrast. The pants' darkest shade could be darker. The shoes look like they're on backwards.

Offline Retro

• Tropical.
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 08:36:14 pm
More like this:

I dunno what you mean by shoes being on backwards.  ???
Retro Pro