AuthorTopic: Platform tiles + creatures.  (Read 8918 times)

Offline dille

• View Profile

Platform tiles + creatures.

on: June 13, 2006, 05:50:46 pm
Hello everyone, I'm a long time lurker/admirer (i was lurking back when Pixelation was still young and alive - maaaaaaaany years ago  ;) )

I've created some pixel-art from time to time but I've never really tried to learn it. Well, this will hopefully change now as I'm doing alot more pixel-art now then i usually do.

If you're interested you can read this little presentation of who i am, otherwise just look at the pixels below.

My name is Martin, I'm 19 years old and i live in Sweden. I'm very interested in graphical design/communication and i usually work with photoshop and illustrator. This is also what I'm studying right now at the university. What makes pixelart so fascinating is how some of you people use colors - its fucking unbelievable what some of you can make with just a few amount of colors, and sometimes even with a terrible pallet like CGA/EGA/VGA and whatnot. This is something i want to learn for myself but right not I'm not even trying as you can see.

OK, and now i will add some comments on the art. The dirt/grass-tiles are made from a tutorial i cant remember where i found (edit: the tiles are based on Indigos tiles!). The ladder is inspired by Gas13 and i think i even stole some of his colors. The monsters are made 100% by myself, i mainly want critique on the coloring - edits are highly welcomed! I know the lines sucks but thats not as important as the colors right now (to me).

The pillars are also made from scratch without a tutorial but as you can see i cheated and used the noise-filter in PS. I know that some consider this a huge sin but i like the result so i kept it for now.

I just noticed that the colors are a bit darker on the web then when i view it in photoshop. I'm using ColorMatch RGB as the color profile in PS since that's what we use in school. What profile should i use to make it look the same in PS as on the web?

This post is getting way to long i know, but one more thing, where is Ndeal? I would love to see some of his recent work both in pixels and vector if someone can point me to his portfolio/deviantart/forum he uses.

Peace!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:10:33 pm by dille »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Platform tiles + creatures.

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 06:46:36 pm
those tiles seem freakishly influenced by my own.  Even similar tile-sheet layouts.  I darkened the colours in my tiles real quick in photoshop, and they're almost a perfect match to yours.  odd - dont you think?

Mine --> Darker --> Yours

I dont recall having any tutorial for these tiles, but your tiles do also remind me of Marco Vale's tile tutorial for beginners... whats his online name again?  (the guy who always draws that pointy hat, samurai guy?)

anyway - i'm a bit flattered if you were inspired by me in any way... just try to remember to give some credit.  :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 07:16:01 pm by Indigo »

Offline Hishnak

• View Profile
    • Aphotic Pixel

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 10:37:49 pm
(Awkward silence as dille tries to come up with a response)....

but then again, he did give some credit...."The ladder is inspired by Gas13 and i think i even stole some of his colors." He just forgot to mention that he stole your stuff too.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 11:42:58 pm
I don't think there's any stealing here.
And since when do artists have to give credit for inspiration? Sure, there's similiarities, but nothing stolen at all, you can obviously tell it's all his work as there's no copying/pasting, thus no stealing.

As for the layout... I dunno, I can't think of many other ways to layout platformer tiles other than left/middle/right, bottom and so on.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 05:09:30 am
Lol, both Indigo and dille stole from Kazuya Mochu's video tutorial. Filthy little thieves! :P Though, i don't know if following a tutorial can be considered stealing from it... hmm...

Anyway, dirt looks alright, but the grass looks too fluorescent. Maybe trim down the brightness/contrast or "bluefy" the middle green.
I'm digging the columns, even though you cheated lol, though they have a lot more contrast than the dirt, and it should be the other way around i guess (being that dirt is inside the ground where light doesn't reach and all). And the tombstones should be close in contrast and shading to the columns' style, since the material is the same.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 05:41:20 am
Lol, both Indigo and dille stole from Kazuya Mochu's video tutorial
Thats his name! Kazuya! that was buggin the crap outta me.  but, as far as me using Kazoya's tutorial - thats a negative.  these tiles were created before he released his video.  Good video though.  Either way, I completely understand about the inspiration vs coping thing.  He didn't copy anything of mine other than some colours and style (especially when you look close at the grass stuff).  I just found it ironic that he'd give credit to others and not me  :-P  As said before, i was more flattered than anything.  great work by the way, dille.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 05:46:38 am by Indigo »

Offline dille

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 02:07:25 pm
Sorry about this, as i said, i knew i had used a reference but i couldnt remember where i found it. I thought i used a tutorial but now i remember that i used a tutorial for some brickwall tiles and these are surely based on Indigos tiles since in PS the colors are exactly the same other then i upped the contrast a bit. It's also easy to spot just by looking on the style of the tiles. Although his are far better :)

It was never my intention to pass these as my own! As you can see in the first post i tried to be as detailed as possible about what stuff was mine and what was inspired by others. I don't consider myself to have stolen anything, sure it was bad of me not to give Indigo the credit he deserved but it was a honest mistake.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback so far, i will definetly change the contrast of the grass.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 02:19:06 pm by dille »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio