AuthorTopic: Platformer levels  (Read 7795 times)

Offline Gas 13

• Osmi the Octopus
    • View Profile
    • Pixelart and Photoshop tutorials

Platformer levels

on: June 13, 2006, 06:44:47 am

Thinking about another BG for 2nd mockup and haven't imagined for the 3rd one yet (rocks again? I need 3 levels for BG). Also I would like to add more details on 2nd level (looks too snowy :-\ and needs more colors I suppose)...

Indeas and CnC are very welcome.

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Re: Platformer levels

Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 06:49:44 am
I like the way these look. I think they have a somewhat distinct style to them, and are pretty damn good.

A few suggestions:

1) Desert needs a bg.
2) In the first one, it seems kind of akward to have all these plants and grass just on the edge of platform. I think that the whole platform should either have less folliage or be covered in grass.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:49:30 am
oh nice and moody. i'd suggest though, that now that you have the basic tiles for those sets add something theme-specific. you know, like icy slides for the snow one and maybe even geysers, or liane-swinging action and coconut throwing monkeys for the first, crumbly platforms and obstacle-thornbushes for the last.

as for the bg, how about a simple sandy desert, yellowish not red, to avoid monotony, with a light blue sky and if the engine is capable of this some sort of heat haze

Offline Sol

• Adsolutely
    • View Profile
    • BURN DIE GO!

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:57:50 am
The third one doesnt appear to be a desert at all guys. Looks like a rocky plane, with some vegatation. Definitely signs pointing in another direction.
単語何でも。それ?★★★★★★★★★★★[/color]
××××××
CLICK HERE

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 09:04:39 am
yes, but i thought it would make a nice contrast color- and moodwise, like a small rock mass in midst of an inhospitable environment like this, offering a little shadow and also little springs here and there. just a thought

edit: i just saw a documentary about the bandiagara cliffs of mali. savanna would look really cool too i guess
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 10:32:14 am by miascugh »

Offline Sol

• Adsolutely
    • View Profile
    • BURN DIE GO!

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:42:12 am
I see what your saying. Kind of makes me want to download some Sonic roms. XD
単語何でも。それ?★★★★★★★★★★★[/color]
××××××
CLICK HERE

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 12:39:42 pm
Very cool. Love the colors, tiles and backgrounds. That does about cover everything :).

And now, for some crits:

There's a big perspective mismatch on the first picture between the tiles and the background. If the tiles were viewed directly from the side, the bg would be correct, but not in this case. In the second pic, this does not occur, the perspective is correct. The bg makes it look like the level is played in the clouds or high above. For an alternative bg, i'd suggest a big wall of ice, like a glacier or a crack between large bodies of ice.
For a third bg, what i though of immediately was something resembling "Grand Canyon", again big walls of rock. But savannah sounds great, and would be a nice variation from what people are used to seeing in games.

Why are there rocks at the top of ladders? :)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 03:24:23 pm
Ditto on the perspective crit, make sure you keep your horizon line near the top of the background.  I think a canyon or some cliffs would make a really badass background for the rocky level.  Awesome stuff!!

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #8 on: June 13, 2006, 07:12:53 pm
hey gas-eh! long time no see brotha.

these look pretty stylish, im already curious who the 'main char is'. the foreground tile elements are looking really snazzy at the moment. I definitely think the forest one has the strongest composition to it all, the colors are well complemented, there is a great atmosphere given off by the simply colored, yet well portrayed background element, it just screams with tastiness.

I think that this same background goodness is a bit lacking in your snowy tileset. id really like to see some sort of awe inspiring sky formation, with some pink/peach hues on a light blue sky to help give it that clear/cold day feel to it. at the moment, unlike the forest background, it looks like the snowy one was some tile art stuck ontop of a flat painted background that was color reduced like one of those casual puzzle games you may or may not have downloaded from the net...meaning that the two are very detached elements, and makes it not as interesting to look at as it otherwise should be.

am very anxious to see what you do with the dirt and stone tile environment :)

Offline Tinygiant

• View Profile
    • .:: ARMY OF TROLLS ::.

Reply #9 on: June 13, 2006, 07:58:06 pm
These really are great, I love the forest something about the colours reminds me of simon the sorcerer. The only comment I can make is it's not clear if the snow background is clouds or mountains.

Really great work.