AuthorTopic: Color Ramp Creator  (Read 8552 times)

Offline RemyStarlight

• View Profile

Color Ramp Creator

on: June 29, 2012, 06:50:31 am
Hello guys!

Wanted to share with you my latest small project, that might be helpful.

I called it Color Ramp Creator. It uses HSV model with hue-shift option and color richness adjustable correction. Also, you can choose from three color ramp size option: 4 colors, 8 colors and 16 colors.

Color Ramp Creator has a real-time preview image, so you can see right away how would the image look like if you would use current color ramp.

Enjoy!

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Re: Color Ramp Creator

Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 09:18:57 am
that's pretty damn cool, and convenient did this in a few moments and think it looks quite sexy  :-*

*context, on the preview
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:21:36 am by Grimsane »

Offline RemyStarlight

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 12:51:32 pm
that's pretty damn cool, and convenient did this in a few moments and think it looks quite sexy  :-*
That's the main idea of my project :)

Offline JonasO

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 11:12:20 pm
I'm in love with you right now. I have always had problems picking shades - this one gives me great shades to work with.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 02:38:03 am
:O This is so cool and useful!!!!  Is there any possibility of being able to use your own image for the future?  Or is that unreasonable?

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 04:05:42 am
been experimenting with hue shift generated colour ramps some more, added 4 pure greys
test thingy:

2 frames

6 frames kinda messed up the smoke and can't be bothered fixing it  ::)

Offline RemyStarlight

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 06:08:30 am
I'm in love with you right now. I have always had problems picking shades - this one gives me great shades to work with.
Me to, that's why I made this project. Now palette making is one step easier, isn't it? :)

Is there any possibility of being able to use your own image for the future?  Or is that unreasonable?
Well, I don't see any big problems implementing it, but it's rather hard to prepare such image, because you need to have exact number of colors and the image's palette should be already n-color shaded, so that when you change the color via slider, it replace that exact shade in the image. Basicaly, the point why I think it's not good to add this feature is that some people will just add ordinary image and get weird psy-styled result :)

By the way, for next release I am desperately looking for some cool 4,8 and 16 shaded images to use in preview. It should be around 300x300 pixels, and it's better if they have 1 color with 4,8 or 16 shades of it. If anybody has some, please post here.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: July 08, 2012, 09:55:38 am
I think I'll make a script like this for GPick.
Anyway, my comments:

* It's a good idea, and the realtime preview is very handy
* it seems a bit random (in the sense of not being strongly tied to reality) currently. The main factor in this is that your model is not realistic.. I mean, you have options for base hue (that's obviously needed...) and hue shift (which, when unconnected to a physical model of light, is not informative about the result) . I'd like to see a model that has more direct implications in relation to reality. For example,
"Base Color, Shadow Color, Highlight Color, Shadow/Highlight Strength". That would allow you to cooordinate lighting conditions across a set of sprites.
* sometimes it lacks contrast, or contrast levels are uneven across the ramp.. I feel that this is at least partly due to the color model you are using, HSV, which is one of the least consistent across different hues. Using HSL, HCY, or LCH.. any of those would produce more reliable results.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 01:05:53 pm
Groovy! Seconding on the coolness of the preview...

There's just one thing I'd be missing: the ability to restrict it to some bits-per-channel, such as nintendo's R5G5B5 or MS-DOS R6G6B6 ...
I guess there are other platforms with similar limits for which such a tool would be a definite win, since software such as The Gimp just ignore the "limited RGB" option...

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 04:34:25 pm
There is one big problem with this one. It doesn't create ramps where the luminosity (which is how the human eye perceives the colors, this changes with the hue and the saturation) goes up but where the lightness (which is how the computer saves and sees those colors) goes up. This makes the ramps with a lot hue-shift basically useless. The luminosity is like the most important part of a color, the colors can be completely random but the picture will still look good if the luminosity of the colors is right.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 04:44:56 pm by Mr. Beast »