AuthorTopic: Double Dragon  (Read 6886 times)

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Double Dragon

on: June 12, 2006, 12:33:13 pm
This is starting to become my schtick..  ;D
It's a re-imagining of Double Dragon (not a very imaginative one, mind you).
I'm making this just for fun, although it's starting to become more of maschoistic type of fun.

WIP

Older WIP
http://i6.tinypic.com/1440fx1.png

Here's an attempt at cut n' pasting an idle animation. It looks pretty awful, so it's added for comedic purposes only.
http://i5.tinypic.com/1440ikx.gif

Oh, and the original.
http://i5.tinypic.com/1440lua.png
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 09:15:34 pm by junkboy »

Offline Schu

• The front is a lemon avenue flying straightly
    • View Profile
    • Eyegore-net

Re: Double Dragon

Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 01:56:29 pm
That's pretty cool :3 Though his hands look a little small for his body and the flat hand seems like he's missing the ends of his fingers. Will that building stand for much longer with all those deep cracks? :0
------
Schu

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 02:15:19 pm
His pose is a little crazy - he looks like he is answering the phone while workin the turntables.  I love the shading on the boots, and on the concrete in the background.  The bricks and ground look very nice also, but the weathering on the door makes it look more like stone than wood (at least to me).  Also, the top of the door looks recessed while the bottom appears to be on the same plane as the player.  great start!

Offline baccaman21

• It's critique, don't take it personally.
    • View Profile
    • Linked In

Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 07:57:30 am
Nice work fella...!

If I was to crit anything I would say that the character (to me) could do with bulking up a tad... pull out his lats (the muscles under the shoulder blades that stick out and form a V shape from the shoulders to just above the bottom of the ribs) - His legs (particicularly his upper thighs) could do with being chunked up a bit... as to could his calves) - there's nothing wrong with him other than he looks a little skinny... a bit like an 80's glam rocker... he needs to look more Henry Rollins than Axle Rose...

;)
Buy the book - The Animator's Survival Kit by Richard Williams

www.burnzombieburn.com

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 07:02:14 pm
with the perspective lines (such as those in the sidewalk) being opposite of the lines being created by the lightsource - it's freaking me out.  It would probably benifit you if either you moved the perspective point to the left, or you moved the lightsource to the right.  now i know there is no true perspective point since we're dealing with parallel lines here, but you get the point

for example - inside the garage, a shadow is being cast on the ground created by the wall.  The line that it creates is the exact opposite of the lines on the sidewalk making it lose depth.

I'm also not too fond of the colours, but its in the same style as the original game, so i wont bother you there much.

Overall, this is a very solid work.  I love the quality you put into everything.  Great stuff - i wish we could see stuff like this more often here at pixelopolis.  I still see some other things i'd like to give C+C on, but i'll have to go into depth a little later.  I have to leave for work.

EDIT:
I'm not sure if my theory about the perspective thing is correct - but it's worth some expirimentation anyway.  It seems to me that the lightsource in the original game is quite messed up itself.  Somebody feel free to argue my point i made.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 07:08:01 pm by Indigo »

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:31:04 pm
Indigo:
Yeah, the perspective and light-source are all over the place. While that's often the case with beat 'em ups, that really isn't a valid excuse. I'll see what I can do about it in the coming updates. Oh, and I'd love to hear or see any color suggestions, since I'm not too fond of them myself. They're incredibly bland right now. I've been meaning to fix it, but when you're up to 70 unique colors in a piece the idea of doing that is kinda discouraging..  ;D

baccaman21:
Haha, "more Henry Rollins than Axle Rose" is a very nice way to put it. Well, I'm going for more of a lean Bruce Lee-ish look on Jimmy up there. But then again, there's always Billy (the second player)..  :D

AdamAtomic:

Hoyaah!!

Schu:
The game supposedly takes places in New York after a massive nuclear war, hence all the cracks. They might be a bit overdone though, hm!  :-X

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 11:45:51 pm
I like the background, but maybe the cracks on the wall are a bit overdone? Seems more like the wall is almost wrinkling.

Also, the contrast on the sidewalk makes it almost look liek a reflective surface, like marble or such. Seems way too shiny for a sidewalk.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 05:49:50 am
hahaha that is hilarious dude, nice one :D

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 12:54:25 am
I like the addition of the car in the garage. It makes it look less empty.

Do I smell animation? I hope.  :D

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 12:59:01 am
There's a car in the original too? What are you talking about Aleiav?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 03:25:15 pm
In his first post there was no car in the garage yet, even though there is one in the screenshot.

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2006, 05:59:22 pm
There's a car in the original too? What are you talking about Aleiav?

I've seen this somewhere before I think and there was no car in the garage so it looked kind of empty.

Offline Ddawg

• Trying to listen to those who know more than me
    • View Profile
    • Dawg Pound

Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 06:09:32 pm
I like the Matin sign, but it's all really good. Keep it up.  :D
I don\'t want to be a bad boy like I was in the *gulp* past...Please be patient with me.

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 06:27:34 pm
= n = hey commander what is up with the necro posting? This thread is three years old.

Also there's no criticism in your post at all. Which makes the necro:ing even more unnecessary!

Also 'keep it up' @ n @ if junkboy hasn't 'kept it up' for three years (!) why would he now?

Necro:ing is bad, awkay?

I'm locking this, junkboy, new thread if you wanna give us an update on this doubledragon thing just go ahead and make a new thread (the car's got NOISE SHADING ffs, you know what I think about noise! Also banding, haha. Make a new thread or something!1
' _ '