AuthorTopic: Summoner's Legacy Animations [Last Update: 06/12/06]  (Read 7847 times)

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios
Doing some frame rate tests for my project. Deciding on 10fps or 20fps animations.

*perspective is at 30degree tilt or so

-base frame/proportions
-lower legs a few px too long

-torso sways and turns too much

-head turns now, delayed the hand from 'dropping' back by a few pixels

-fixed?

-strike might be wrong (was hard to render at this perspective so it may be off)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 06:54:38 pm by Dhaos »

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Re: Summoner's Legacy Animations [Last Update: 06/11/06]

Reply #1 on: June 11, 2006, 05:05:11 pm
That's amazing. The animations are just so smooth and bouncy.. You show much depth in the picture also.
The only wip that I don't like is the side view. If I look at the parts I can see your smooth animating skills but as a whole, it kind of feels stiff. And the swings are good but the pose is a bit unstable. You could move the feet more apart (horizontally) and make him bend his knees just a tiny little bit more.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2006, 05:45:38 pm
Lick, you've got a point with the side-view walk. He is indeed too stiff. I'll make sure to deal with that soon. As far as the swing, I'm not too sure, I was able to stand and swing like that. However I may have missed something (or perhaps something got deformed due to perspective) I'll take some more time to see whats wrong. Thanks for pointing it out.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006, 06:30:30 pm
my only concern is the tiny head in the sideview which is an easy fix, and that in the front view walking anim he turns his hips and his chest far too much; hed be on his way to the chiropractor before ever reaching the enemy.  Im glad you realistically animated the sword swing, especially with the left arm thrown back to balance, though i think the feet should be wider apart, and the stance more angled towards the camera.  stand in front of a mirror and try that swing.  it works, but its so awkward.  spread your legs more and try it again.  you can feel the difference in the power of the swing and the fact that your ass wont be screaming 'wtf' at you as you do it.

all in all looks great.  what sort of battle engine is this for?  like an RO/Baldur's Gate fighting style?
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 07:04:57 pm
I didn't really notice the head problem on the side view walk oops x_x. I see what you two were trying to tell me about the swing, I think I misinterpeted how I was swinging in the mirrior. I'll get to work on it.

Adarais, lol yeah I really need to tone down that front view twisting. I'm aiming for something very close to baldur's gate. You got your hero/heroine and his 'summons' pretty much.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 07:46:09 pm
i think the stiffness of the side view is a non-issue, especially if he will be suited in armor.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 11:45:42 pm
Try walking. Your crotch stays almost still while walking, while the one in your pixel shakes around heavily. Same with the chest muscles, they jirk around...

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: Summoner's Legacy Animations [Last Update: 06/12/06]

Reply #7 on: June 12, 2006, 06:57:01 pm
BUMPITY BUMP BUMP! *see first post*

Added a new animation "swing left" and tweaked the other anims. Going to be working on some temp tiles now.

@Ryumaru: True, except the characters won't always be wearing heavy armor ^^U. Cloth is evil EVIL I SAY!

@Gil: That was an accident, the hips got shifted over while I was animating it. A very poor mishap on my part. I think I fixed it mostly now?

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 07:22:25 pm
The swing west animation seems much weaker than the swing south one. The motion blur looks better if it doesn't last more than one frame, and his arm should follow-through a bit further. Maybe raise up the attack angle a bit too, it looks like he's slashing at someone's knees. (This would be alright if there was more than one angle of attack.) The sword also looks shorter.

The south walking animation need a lot more work still as well. It seems a bit disjointed, especially since the head stays perfectly steady left and right (it should), but the body moves around in an odd fashion. Not really sure how to describe it... If you want, I'll see if I can do an edit for you when I get some time.

The west walking animation is not bad at all, though he doesn't appear to be looking in the right direction, I think the eye is a bit too far on the side of the head.

All that said, I really love the swing south animation, it's excellent.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 07:43:35 pm
Pawige, I've tried everything I could with the 'south' walk. You're more than welcome to edit it. You are right about the west swing, I'm trying to fix that right now. The sword looked so short because I over did the perspective >_<. I can't think up an excuse for the low swing angle though so *tweak!*