AuthorTopic: Pixel art i am doing for an RPG i am making...  (Read 4437 times)

Offline Noobinator

• View Profile

Pixel art i am doing for an RPG i am making...

on: June 10, 2006, 09:11:05 pm
Hey, I am a complete noob at pixel art and I was hoping that if I posted my work on here you guys would be able to tell me how to make it better...

Basically I am making an RPG and my graphics artist pulled out because he didnt have enough spare time so I disgarded his work because I knew that I wouldnt be able to do graphics up to his standard and I wanted them all to be in the same style, and this is my first attempt at pixel art...

For your information the tiles used are all 16x16 and the characters are the same, so bear that in mind when you are making suggestions...

First Town

Riverside Scene...

A male NPC

Female NPC

Evil Dude

Random Wizard

The Main Character

Thanks in advance!

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Re: Pixel art i am doing for an RPG i am making...

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 10:59:55 pm
well it seems there is a lot to comment on, i think i can start at a high level and as things progress more detail specific crits would probably arise,

my main response when first looking at the image is that it all looks to me that things lie on the same plane of existence, the grass looks like it is at roof's height, and the only objects with any real depth are the trees. If you incorporated some of the same shadows behind other vertical objects/structures, such as the houses and bushes, it would help to distinguish depth for them as well.

the grass, as you are going with bladed grass, i think utilizes some strong contrast. if you push the shadow tone a little lighter, i think that the grass effect will then look subtle enough not to steal away the visual attention it currently attracts.

The water looks a bit like a mirror, i think the dark underlines which separate it from the dirt around it give it an embossed effect, which is clearly not what you are trying to do... to be consistent with your tree light sources, the shadow would be cast on the surface of the water in its upper and left boundaries (not the lower and right boundaries)... and make sure you dont do it in a way that makes it seem outlined as is currently shown. also, this outline effect near the edges of the roads look a bit too strong to me as well?

perhaps you could provide a mockup with some ofthe characters on there as well :P

the picket fences i feel are just too dark against the rather vibrant green, and have an effect of being pushed 'into the ground' if that makes sense, i think when the pickets are that small they shouldnt be outlined, else you get that separation from the fence away from the rest of the environment, which at this scale would not work very well.

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 11:01:15 pm
It looks pretty good so far but the grass tiles are repetitive as are the houses. You might want to make some tile variations to make it less monotonous.

Offline Noobinator

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 11:27:59 pm
Thanks a lot for the critisisms so far...

st0ven your advice as been particulary helpful and I will bear that in mind when I edit the tiles to make them better and at the end of this post you will see a shot of the riverside scene with characters on...

aleiav, i didnt want to do too many tiles before i got these ones checked over by better artists than myself so that i didnt waste as much time, obviously when I have got better on doing one type of the basic sort of tile, then I will make more to add to the variety...it is a lot more time consuming this hole pixel art than i thought  :P

« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 11:33:00 pm by Noobinator »

Offline Noobinator

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 10:45:02 pm
I was wondering if I could have a few more critisisms and comments before I edit the tiles...i was wanting to know of any techniques that I could use to help improve the water in particular, and more ways to "add depth"...

Also I was looking for advice on how well the characters fit in with the background...because that is something I am really not sure about...

Thanks in advance...

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #5 on: June 12, 2006, 11:26:58 pm

A quick edit. Basically i added a layer with 50% transparency on top of yours, and quickly used the circle and rectangle fill to add a few highlights or shadows, choosing colors that looked ok to me.

My main concern was adding depth, shape to some objects - house, rock at bottom of screen, river, bush near the well-, shadows, and tweaking some colors - path, highlights on the roof, tree and bush, while keeping the lightsource consistent. These aren't the best, you should tweak to your hearts consent.

Regarding the sprites, they're basically ok, but in the side view, the perspective is incorrect - we're seeing too much face and too little hair. Your best friends in spriting matters are the tutorials in the General Section of the forum. Good luck.