AuthorTopic: Scorched the sky (wip)  (Read 6008 times)

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Scorched the sky (wip)

on: June 10, 2006, 09:21:41 am
lines

colour

doublewide

doing it for kicks.
C&C is grand.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 12:06:32 pm by Akira »
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Scorched the sky (wip)

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 02:06:38 pm
I quite like the picture, could have some nicer aa and where the beam meets the clouds looks a bit strange imo.

But what's with this converting to widepixels? It makes no sense to convert something just like that. If you make doublepixels make them from the ground up. In the conversion some of the detail which could have been preserverd better just turned to mush.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 03:56:53 pm
I have to agree just squash/stretching %50 and then saying 'widepixels' isn't the way to go. Otherwise I really like this, BUT YOU NEED THE BOTTOM OF THE IMAGE like in the lineart. Very important for the composition, I think!

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 04:09:16 pm
I think the laser type weapon would look a lot more powerful if it either didn't taper at all or tapered differently.  Right now it looks like the laser ends a few pixels outside the composition, rather than extending to the sky.

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 04:13:13 pm
I agree very much with Helm and Ptoing.  I'd say keep the bottom as well.

I think you're bending the perspective of the beam a little bit just so you can show where it hits the clouds.  The black structure appears perfectly head on, and the beam appears to be firing at an angle away from the viewer.  Try to figure out a way that you can show the beam entering the clouds and still keep the perspective.

I also think that the intense light of the beam would have a greater effect on the rocks and possibly the structure.

But those are all I can come up with now.  Overall the piece looks very tasty.  Are you going to add more in the background?

EDIT: AdamAtomic got to it before I did.  The fact that we both have different takes on what the beam is actually doing is a sign that you should probably rethink it.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 06:06:10 pm
I got the same kind of perspective feeling from the beam as Faktablad.
I also agree in that the bottom of the image should be kept.
Also, my curiosity has been piqued as to where that red light is coming from.
The horizon is hardly noticable with such low contrast. Is that building way in the distance supposed to be shooting another beam? I'd think it would be more visible even at that distance, with how bright the near one is...Speaking of how bright the beam is, it makes me think that the opposite side of the hill should be darker, and as Flakkabad said, the beam should be casting some light onto the rocks below.
The smoke coming from the building doesn't seem on par with the clouds.

I really like this piece, though.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 03:10:48 am
haha, i did the widepixel version for fun. promise next time i'll do one from the beginning :-*
i'll go back and put the bottom of the lines in. i just got sick of pixeling purple rocks :P
i don't especially want to extend the top of the image so i'll probably redo the clouds to have the beam shooting straight into them. it will also save like 4 colours or something :P
i've got another dark i can use to extend the horizon and hopefully make it more sensical

wonderful crits guys <3
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 12:03:35 pm
Update:

Am i on target?
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 05:42:56 pm
I think the problem here is that the clouds appear to be in the background, while the gun appears to be aimed directly to the upper left.  To remedy this I think you have to put the gun on a perspective so that we see that it is aiming into the background.

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 09:56:18 pm
Awesome. :) I think it might be cooler if the clouds were orange/reddish rather than purple.