AuthorTopic: GR#140 - Magic Fire & Ice - Animation  (Read 21260 times)

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Magic Effects (fire)

Reply #10 on: May 27, 2012, 07:09:43 am
Conceit, thank you for highlighting my mistakes. The point about silhouette has been very useful.
Here's a revised version. Any better?

Daimoth, Grimsane, thank you!

Here's also some more fire works.
Fireball   Fireball2    A type of explosion
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:36:40 am by Sohei »

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 02:50:25 pm
PixelPileDriver's edits are nicely animated but lack a sense of energy (can't think of a better word at moment) and the flames don't seem wild enough, but Sohei's latest attempts certainly have it.  I actually get a feel of burny death impact from those. :)
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline jinza

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 06:33:33 pm
I think pixel piledriver's needs to animate the dragon head fire headball as well then it will look better but that's the only reason i like sohei's better and also the way Pixel piledriver has it animated makes it look more like water[or liquid] than fire

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: May 27, 2012, 09:21:09 pm
I feel like the flame leaving the face of the lion would work better if it started with a more flowing, smoother shape, even if it doesn't adhere to the randomness of a flame:

I think if you started the flames leaving the face with a smooth motion like that and have it break into the randomness of a flame, it would work way better as an animation as a whole.

I also don't think the slow pulsing brightness is helping, as all it's doing is making it very easy for my eye to notice the pattern of the animation(which is very bad when you're trying to portray something unpredictable like fire). If anything, have the varying brightness very rapid/flickering.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 09:24:23 pm by Dusty »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 10:59:35 pm
I can certainly tell you heeded my advice Sohei  :D the motion of the fire is much more clear and really that was all that I was getting at. From here on I think the animation is good enough that improvements depend on the context in which it'll be displayed.
Daimoth and Carnivac I actually agree about PxPd's edit, but I still it's an excellent form of C&C =), which is what it's supposed to be. I doubt PxPd thinks it's a finished piece to ship in a game.

I think you could do what PxPd did with the latter steps of his animation and add more and more layers of detail (smoke, sparks, variations of wild flames, a trail of fire left by the blast, etc)
But without some context that wouldnt necesarily be a good thing, it might be overkill for how long the player would actually see the flame, or it might make the flame have a different feel than it should. Do you have any way to test this ingame or look at it in the context it'll be displayed?

How about you work on that weak fire slash first? there's nothing firey about it right now, how about you a couple (or more) of frames after your last frame, so that it dissipates like fire? I dont think I have to tell you how to make fire dissipate, just do what you did to the trailing specks in your Fire Dragon those look firey enough.

EDIT: just noticed the other flames. with smaller flames I think it works better to make their pulsing more pronounced, and have fewer specks than the bigger fires. When you think of a candle's flame that's a single speck and it pulses quite a lot because it's so weak, but with bigger fires they're slower and more imposing because of that. Look at some real life footage of firethrowers

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:08:38 pm by Conceit »

Offline Carnivac

• Mayhem Attack Squad
    • View Profile
    • Doctor Who - Retro Sprite Gallery

Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 11:23:21 pm
Daimoth and Carnivac I actually agree about PxPd's edit, but I still it's an excellent form of C&C =), which is what it's supposed to be. I doubt PxPd thinks it's a finished piece to ship in a game.

Oh yeah.  They're still lovely animations if not quite 'firey'.  I've saved them onto my laptop to study the motion as I just like the actual animation of them.
NES, Amiga & Amstrad CPC inspired
I know nothing about pixel art
http://carnivac.tumblr.com/

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 01:58:54 pm
An idea of a small fire people that chase a target on the same ground level.

Conceit
>Do you have any way to test this ingame or look at it in the context it'll be displayed?
Unfortunatelly, no. I'm doing work on paper, imagination and graphic editor for now.
>How about you work on that weak fire slash first? there's nothing firey about it right now, how about you a couple (or more) of frames after your last frame, so that it dissipates like fire?
That's an interesting suggestion, but I'm hesitant. This motion supposed to be very fast and infinite to use as a basic close combat attack.  I agree with you, that it would be much more interesting with dissipation, but I don't know how will it stack together. I'll give a try.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 06:58:13 pm by Sohei »

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 06:20:37 pm
^- That's Awesome!  ;D although after watching it a few times the arch of her arms throw and the arch of the fire men coming from her are entirely different, and a tad odd, but I think that gets done alot in battle effect animations? might wanna try a throw upward animation, her animation now is better suited to throwing daggers or shuriken. can't help but imagine a comedic loop with someone frantically running away from a few of those Flame dudes too :lol: and they definitely look convincingly flame like :y:

Offline Sohei

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 01:59:33 pm
Added dissipation for the firetouch. And another fireburst. Do you have experience in making fire throwers? Will this fireburst be enough as a base particle?

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 01:54:47 am
hm...cant say I have experience but that's not what I would do for a flamethrower, looks like a pretty generic explosion and expect for being yellow could be any magic effect as well as fire. I would probably do something that starts out as a flat projectile and then expands out into a flame

I think this footage might give you some ideas, always try to research if you're not sure how to make something look like a real thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thaP_5d8ZpQ