AuthorTopic: my first pixel in over a decade... looking for crits/advice  (Read 5330 times)

Offline mrHiggins

• View Profile

first post but i've been lurking a few weeks now. i haven't pixeled since i was about 14 or so and i was never any good at it then.  this is definitely an improvement but it could be way better. i'm also planning on doing a walk cycle, jump/fall and attack series of animations.  this is mostly practice but i might use it for something.

if any one has any crits, corrections, suggestions or just want to play around with it,  i look forward to seeing it.

p.s. i already know the hand looks stupid. that will be corrected in the "final" version.

Offline jinza

• View Profile

played around with it a bit fixed some stuff (light sources, shading)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
Hi! This is pretty great. My first question is, why are you breaking up the outline as you are? The sprite is obviously still outlined, so why are you suggesting a smaller-than-one-pixel-in-width outline by breaking it up like that? Let's talk about that and move from there.

Offline mrHiggins

• View Profile
@Jinza:
that looks really cool.  it does kind of change the dramatic lighting i was attempting but maybe that's a good thing?  the only negative i have about your version is i lose some of the interesting highlights, like on the dimple in his cheek.  other than that it still looks great and gives me some ideas on how to re approach this.  i really appriciate your input :)

@Helm:
the outline is something i've been kinda fighting with...
(a little back story)
here's something i'm sure no one on these boards has said:  i'm working with a friend of mine to try to make some games.
doing our stuff in pixels was my idea but he wasn't super familiar with that medium.  he found the derek yu tutorial, saw the selout stuff and decided we needed to learn that.

so that's what that is.  an attempt at selout.  hopefully this doesn't turn into another one of THOSE threads.  as far as my stance on selout, i'm agnostic.  sometimes it looks good, sometimes it isn't necessary. i guess for the most part this character doesn't need it because he's already in a cartoon style that relies heavily on bold outlines.  like i said though, this was mostly practice so i'm not afraid to throw out the pseudo-selout.  if i did throw it out, would you mostly worry about the exterior outlines/outlines for larger shapes?  i ask because of cartoon line theory: larger/more important forms have bolder outlines. i.e. the outlines on his gut would get bolder while the outlines defining his mouth and chins would potentially stay the same?

thanks again, to everyone for crits, help, example improvements.  i typically suffer these kinds of things by myself but from what i've seen this seems to be a pretty helpful community.

Offline mrHiggins

• View Profile
also, if anyone wanted an outline to play with...

fixed some of the stuff that was wrong with it like the fugly hand.  also, the hair is blue so you know where it is without muddying up the rest of the design, but i'm sure i probably didn't have to preface that.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 02:22:35 am by mrHiggins »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Does something like this achieve what you want to do with the line width variation on a subpixel level?

Offline mrHiggins

• View Profile
ha, i don't know what else to say other than everything about that looks better. i know it's fairly subtle but it makes all the difference.

Offline mrHiggins

• View Profile
was going to do more but i'm getting sleepy....

yeah, that's probably an over-use of dithering.  i wanted to try to capture some of what liked about jinza's RE without having to add more colors to my palette and still retain the ability to highlight areas for effect. still playing.
i also have helm's example pasted on there while i dissect it to apply it to the rest of the outline.  once i figure which color(s) i want to keep/tweek from it i'll probably use it to give more depth to his booty. :D

Offline Sqd

• View Profile
I've edited your sprite and i've tried to use the same palette you have used .. hope this helps a bit.

Dithering is overdone quite a bit in the newest version, I know what you are trying to achieve with it, not sure if it's going to work. In my opinion, dithering might not work well with only 2 colors and such a big area.. it might work with smaller sprites but not with this one IMHO. Also, if you plan to animate it, the dithering will be a nightmare.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 09:34:52 am by Sqd »

Offline mrHiggins

• View Profile
Sqd, that's probably the coolest thing I've seen someone turn one of my doodles into. Massive props. You captured it perfectly. You guys are all giving me great things to think about.

But yeah, I thought both of those things about the dithering. After a while I started to realize it was looking like I was designing some clip art for Microsoft Word circa 1993.  I figured I'd at least finish that render so I can save it in the "examples of things you tried that didn't work" folder.

But yeah, after seeing your edit I'm gonna recolor from scratch. I really like what you did to the outline though; I just don't want to bite your style.  ;)