AuthorTopic: Let the computer aesthetic burn your mind!  (Read 25927 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Let the computer aesthetic burn your mind!

Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 05:55:40 am
EDIT: also, I find this variation pleasing. PERHAPS to the degree that this will become the official iteration to finish. Only R G B
Please, no. It looks cool, but not that cool.

Well, the legs have already been mentioned and spoken about, but I really think they're skinny to the point of lack of muscle. My legs are skinny (as is the rest of me) and I've got more meat than that. The distant leg also looks to fat in comparison.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 05:58:10 am
Ancient greek warriors looked nothing like the idealized portrayals of said statues. Muscle develops quite differently if you're building it for tone and to show, which has to do with training all muscle groups in certain ways, getting a very specific diet etc, whereas it develops differently through repetitive battle excersise (which strains only some muscle groups, and some more than others) eating what you find, and generally rough livin', where even deformations occur through malpractise. Spartans weren't 'oh am I so pretty?'. This jerk isn't what happens to people who kill to live.

and yeah, I'll finish it proper and then can easily do the conversion to RGB then.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 05:59:55 am by Helm »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #22 on: June 09, 2006, 06:05:30 am
My legs are skinny (as is the rest of me) and I've got more meat than that.
After some thought, I'll rephrase: My legs are lean, as is the rest of me, and I've got more meat than that.

Hehe, don't want to drive the ladies away with the thought of me being a frail nerd. I'm a manly nerd.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: June 09, 2006, 06:07:16 am
i would think the legs would be just as beafy as the upper body though, seeing as how they would definitely be walking a great deal and be doing lots of foot work. correct me if im wrong though as i dont know anything about stuff like this :P

got some other comments but i think they are just adressing the WIPness of it so ill save those for later.

Offline Akira

• Heheheh
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: June 09, 2006, 08:42:59 am
reminds me of what iST was doing a while ago http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=279&sec=icons&pg=6 cept whay more old school and intense.

The helm would surely reflect the red lightsource more than the thigh but i don't think it should :P
The muscles in the shoulders/arms are disproportionate to the rest of the body to the point that it appears he has a bad hunch but then anatomy is largely personal preference.
I'm not really a fan of his left thigh either. sometimes you have to over look the small things and enjoy the piece and these colours make for a very enjoyable peice albiet a little hard to look at for long periods of time.
thanks Dogmeat!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: June 09, 2006, 10:29:11 am
i always thought of warriors as becoming very tough and stringy instead of really big, mostly because agility under armor is so important and a large body builder cant move and provides a bigger target.  This guy seems to fit the part nicely except for the torso seems a bit too skinny to have spent a life supporting those arms.  larger, tougher arms = larger, tougher upper body.  neck looks good though as far as supporting a helmet which most people forget about when drawing warriors, and the legs seem to have strenth without useless bulk.  to me, he looks like a well-trained and fed fighter ('cause he cant have muscles that tough without food to make them)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 09, 2006, 12:49:37 pm
Ancient greek warriors looked nothing like the idealized portrayals of said statues. Muscle develops quite differently if you're building it for tone and to show, which has to do with training all muscle groups in certain ways, getting a very specific diet etc, whereas it develops differently through repetitive battle excersise (which strains only some muscle groups, and some more than others) eating what you find, and generally rough livin', where even deformations occur through malpractise. Spartans weren't 'oh am I so pretty?'. This jerk isn't what happens to people who kill to live.

and yeah, I'll finish it proper and then can easily do the conversion to RGB then.

It seems as though all muscle builder pictures have pasted on heads. Just very unnatural looking.

The CA has already roasted my mind, I'm appreciative.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #27 on: June 09, 2006, 12:54:49 pm
Ancient greek warriors looked nothing like the idealized portrayals of said statues.

I've never met any ancient Greek warriors. I'm basing my observations on Greek art (look at the terracotta amphora paintings) and what I know about fitness.

Muscle develops quite differently if you're building it for tone and to show, which has to do with training all muscle groups in certain ways, getting a very specific diet etc, whereas it develops differently through repetitive battle excersise (which strains only some muscle groups, and some more than others) eating what you find, and generally rough livin', where even deformations occur through malpractise. Spartans weren't 'oh am I so pretty?'. This jerk isn't what happens to people who kill to live.

Some misconceptions here. When muscles are under stress, they tend to get micro-tears in their fiber. The body reacts by re-building them stronger. Building muscle for defintion is a common misconception. Muscle can do one of three things: get larger, get smaller, or stay the same size. Moving heavier weight around will help them build bigger and faster, but it won't change anything other than size. The shape relates to individual genetics and can't be altered short of surgery.

Bodybuilders definitely don't work all the muscle groups equally (they keep the abs smaller than say powerlifters would, and many do little ab work at all). It's not important for them to balanced their bodies like weightlifters, since they're not the ones breaking records. The cardio involved with "battle exercises" and marching with equipment would work the full body, but wouldn't isolate the groups specifically.

Definition has everything to do with diet and very little to do with working out. A low calorie, low fat diet will produce a much leaner, stringier look. The chunky weightlifter (not bodybuilder) type relies on a high protein, calorie rich diet (5-7 meals/day plus) and keeps himself very well hydrated. Bodybuilding combines the two, as the man will "bulk" until several months before a comeptition, when he will began "cutting", a process that involves a drastic change in diet. His exercise shifts to focus on cardio, and he will typically lose 30-50 pounds in these several months. Before the competition itself, he drops his water weight, also. On the day of the competition he is dehydrated man with large muscle, and very little fat.

I'd conclude that because of the exercise and meager diet, Greek soldiers would be lean and defined, with strong legs (climbing over that rocky terrain) but a small, wiry physique.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: June 09, 2006, 01:10:23 pm
In other words, that RGB guy is pretty close to being Greekesque, then? Aside from the obviously flexing biceps, he isn't very bulky at all. Just well defined.

Oh, and Helm, I don't need to actually say anything useful about this brain-asploding piece of insanity, do I?

Good.

Now finish it.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #29 on: June 09, 2006, 04:23:50 pm
wow helm, you've went and done it. you two came up with a unique idea, a whole new way to think of pixelart, Helm put it in practice, this is the proof that it is still an evolving art =)

still, that's not for me, not right now anyway :p

I second the idea of the pure RGB pic, if life was coherent RPG pixelart would become a fad