AuthorTopic: Walking animation for RPG sprite  (Read 3279 times)

Offline skoby

• View Profile

Walking animation for RPG sprite

on: May 11, 2012, 07:04:48 pm
Been a long time since I've posted on here :( but I'm back into pixel art again helping a friend out with graphics for a game their working on as a side project for their uni holidays. So far we're tossing around ideas for a setting but instead of sitting idle I started working on a sprite base and walking animation, both pretty rough so far but want to get the basics right before I work too hard on shading.

Here is the spite base and a quick edit I did

and here is the walking animation

I'm not too happy with the perspective / proportions especially when walking but every edit ive tried has made things worse. Just looking for some CC on how to improve it :)

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Re: Walking animation for RPG sprite

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 07:16:06 pm
The head sits a little too far back on the body.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 07:42:02 pm
The animation is really solid, but the perspective is off if you're shooting for 1/2 overhead. Taking depth into account, the back foot should travel along the ground a little bit "higher" than the front foot.

In both the idle and walking sprites, the top of the head should be tilted forward more to keep in line with the body.

Someone is bound to comment that he's leaning back too far, but I think it adds character. :)

Offline skoby

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 11:36:16 am
Thanks for the feedback, Ive tried to address all the points but not sure if I got the head right still. I also slimmed down the legs and feet a little, just looked too big especially with the perspective I was aiming for. Ive also animated the character I started with which I think looks better than the base, probably simply because I prefer working with clothes than anatomy.

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 12:07:55 pm

The upper arm is too long and the lower arm too short. Not as obvious in the version with clothes but it still makes it look like the jacket's way too big for him. Your palette could use more contrast and hue shift, makes it easier to fix pixel clusters too.

Nice job on the perspective change. I liked the way his head leaned back in the first version though. Had more attitude.

EDIT: Hmm.. the upper arm looks too long in my edit too :P So, even shorter!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:10:50 pm by ErekT »

Offline skoby

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 03:56:17 pm
Thanks for the edit, looking closer at my work some of the arms looked more like tentacles :( Ive gone through and tried to clean each frame up, giving the arms especially more form and trying to get them the right proportion. Your edit really helped and hope you dont mind me pinching your palette.

EDIT:
Apparently we're going for a bit of a steampunk setting for the game so I've started working on a character, not sure on it at the moment think I need to do a bit more steampunk research.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 07:01:06 pm by skoby »