AuthorTopic: Tactical RPG sprites  (Read 5721 times)

Offline Chis

• My name does not have an r
    • View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Tactical RPG sprites

on: May 23, 2012, 10:31:21 pm
Let's see if I can actually finish this one  :crazy:

The first three main characters will have unique sprites. The others will probably get different hairs and generic class outfits. They're 32x32 so I can animate them quickly, but I'm open to different sizes.
Feedback and suggestions would be super awesome!
Oh, and question - how would you feel about a half top-down, half side grid? Like this, but isometric?

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Re: Tactical RPG sprites

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 10:43:23 pm
Suggestion: drop the bottom right facing frame and flip the left facing frame in game. Every sprited based tactical RPG I've played does this. It saves a ton of work.

I like the style, it's like halfway between 8-bit with black outlines and 16-bit with more shades. :y:

Offline Chis

• View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 04:54:11 pm
That's a good idea, thanks! I was getting hung up in the asymmetry and then I realized it really doesn't matter.
It seems black outlines are taboo here, so I'm glad I have an ok from someone  :P

Update:

Also, run cycle:

I need to make her arms actually look like arms.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 04:56:55 pm by Chis »

Offline Hideon

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 08:19:18 pm
I think in that case it will be better if you don't use the suggestion, because the hair of the girl isn't symetric and the pose is not frontal. The other direction of the first post was fine for me.
About the run cycle, I have the impresion that she is shorter when runs, so it's a bit strange, and I don't understand why the 2 arms move so different.

Offline Chis

• View Profile
    • o'er at pixeljoint

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 05:07:18 pm
The girl's hair was the reason I originally had 4 poses. After much consideration though, I think I'm going to forget about keeping the symmetry so I can get as much done as possible. I'm even considering making it iso to whittle down the poses to 2  :crazy:

Do you guys prefer playing tactical rpgs on a square or iso grid? I want to make a decision now when it's still early.

And an updated run cycle if I'm going to use it:

I was trying to foreshorten the girl bending forward while she runs, but it just looked like she was short. I tried narrowing her waist - does it look better?
I forgot to mention that she'll be carrying a weapon in her hand, which was the wrong hand in the first sprite  ::) now it's in her right hand, which is why it doesn't move as much.