AuthorTopic: Sushi train selection  (Read 9792 times)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Re: Sushi train selection

Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 02:58:39 am
Your first edit is exactly what i had in mind, monteboyd. But i believe the highlight would go around the outer ridge, like this

I quite like the former version of the plates, honestly, rather than that new one.

I think a highlight on the right ridge would also be adequate, forgot about it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 03:06:21 am by Turbo »

Offline monteboyd

• View Profile
    • monteboyd.com

Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 03:37:01 am
Ah, I see the wisdom of your approach now Turbo, here's my version:

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 09:07:20 am
fil_razorback - I have to admit to not being very learned in authentic Japanese sushi, I have based these pieces mostly on what you can find in sushi restaurants here in Australia. Which ones are you referring to as the California Rolls? I've just checked wikipedia and it says California Rolls are the ones made with the rice on the outside (number four from my pieces) but in Australia California Rolls seems to have a pretty loose definition.

>>> Well, in the japanese restaurants I went to, the California rolls (#4) looked like this :
The shape is nearly the same as maki's (#1), just a bit less cylindrical.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #13 on: June 09, 2006, 05:59:08 pm
Yes, that's it. But brighter highlights, make sure they're easily visible at the original size (as in helm's edit), which presently they're not.

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Reply #14 on: June 09, 2006, 11:46:39 pm
helm, i say, "yes"... the depth of the plate looks much more like it is bending upwards to accept or embrace the contents (perspective of plate achieved).

i really like these pieces, and they happen to be some of my favorite ^_^. cali rolls are customarily made with the rice on the outermost layer, but ive seen them done either way ( i assume its easier to make just wrapping the rice on the inside perhaps). the tamago is my favorite one, its accuracy and colors are primo and i think it best represents the food its trying to illustrate in an accurate, yet colorful/stylized manner.

the shrimp sashimi has wonderful colors, though i find the shape of the shrimp itself looking a bit too rectangular in nature. i am aware that the belly is slit and is spread out to take the shape of the rice, but in my memory it looks more like a triangle ontop than a square. i knwo if i were personally coloring these i would shift the hue from the orange to apink when going from lighter tones to darker ones, i think that would look especially good on these here shrimpies (slurp)

the only one that seems not very strong to me is the temaki... usually the contents are gushing out the top in an artful manner from what i can remember, yours dont really look 'full' or 'wrapped' as much as they do 'stuffed', if that makes sense. theyre supposed to be very non symmetrical by nature and i can only best describe the contents pouring out like a 'boutique'.

i think your understanding of color is certainly up there, these are fun pieces to look at in general.

oh one last thing there, if you are going for a less shiny/plastic feel, perhaps throw in some texture... also the playful, artificial blue color used for the plate might not really help the illlusion, perhaps switching to a dark green or a deep red (though not overly saturated) would help.

Offline monteboyd

• View Profile
    • monteboyd.com

Reply #15 on: June 10, 2006, 12:46:25 am
Thanks for all the excellent advice, I'm taking it all on board and I'll keep working on them and post again.

st0ven I think you're spot on about the temaki - that's what has been bothering me about them.

Offline monteboyd

• View Profile
    • monteboyd.com

Updates!

Reply #16 on: June 10, 2006, 01:56:13 am
Made some updates taking on board most of the advice:

It is probably also worth mentioning that in the final usage of these they will appear 2x by default. There will be an option to reduce them to 1x and up them to 3x.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 10, 2006, 01:58:42 am
They look very good at 3 times.  My only cocern is the last one.  The perspective to me looks warped. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: June 10, 2006, 05:23:48 am
It seems I severily misunderstood the intended shape of the plates in my edit. If x2 is default, I'd loose the jagged lines at the /  \  sides of the plate since they're very visible at anything but 1x. straighten them out? Also a lot of AAing could be achieved on the foods themselves that you haven't attempted, I guess style thing, but I'd give it a shot anyway. Example.

Offline monteboyd

• View Profile
    • monteboyd.com

Reply #19 on: June 12, 2006, 09:01:09 am
I've made an update to these. I was going for a less AAed look originally but Helm's advice makes sense so I've taken it on: