AuthorTopic: Sushi train selection  (Read 9794 times)

Offline monteboyd

• View Profile
    • monteboyd.com

Sushi train selection

on: June 07, 2006, 12:34:57 pm
Hello Pixelopolis!

This is my first post and it's great to be here. The following are a selection of sushi images which will be used as part of a larger project. Any C+C is welcome. Thanks!

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: Sushi train selection

Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 03:00:22 pm
Are you sure about the california rolls? The shape is usually more like maki's, isn't it ?

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 05:20:44 pm
Looking nice. I won't comment on the correctness of the food, since i know little about sushi other than the ocasional picture in the media, other than saying it's very nicely represented, halfway between realistic and cartoony, and inviting/yummy. I love representations of food, so this goes right to my soft spot.
I have a pick about the plates though. Since the food looks represented from an obvious 3/4 up/side view, the plates should also be in such a perspective, but they look as being seen straight from above. It could be a style/design choice, but if it's not, i'd try to convey some foreshortening by increasing the vertical size of the upper border of the plate, and reducing and adding highlights on the lower border.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 06:49:45 pm
These turned out great!  the second two look weaker than the first 3 to me, their shapes and perspectives aren't as obvious, and the heavy patterning/dots (regardless of authenticity) make them busy and hard to read compared to the others.  Great colors and lighting!

Offline monteboyd

• View Profile
    • monteboyd.com

Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 11:20:10 pm
Thanks for the feedback!

fil_razorback - I have to admit to not being very learned in authentic Japanese sushi, I have based these pieces mostly on what you can find in sushi restaurants here in Australia. Which ones are you referring to as the California Rolls? I've just checked wikipedia and it says California Rolls are the ones made with the rice on the outside (number four from my pieces) but in Australia California Rolls seems to have a pretty loose definition.

Turbo - I agree about the plates and they have been troubling me as not looking like the right perspective. I'll give your suggestions a try.
I'm glad you think they look inviting to eat - that was the main intention! :)

AdamAtomic - I feel the same about the last two and had the most trouble with these. My main problem is the last one (the temaki) should probably be larger and perhaps be only one per plate. I'll see what I can do about it.

Offline monteboyd

• View Profile
    • monteboyd.com

Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 04:05:20 am
Okay, I've changed the plate according to the crits, but now I'm thinking I do prefer the more stylised original. Anyone got any thoughts?

Original

New plate

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 04:24:14 am
the original one seems to match the perspective of the actual food better I think...I really like the highlights on the second one though...i dunno that is a tough call!

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 04:28:35 am
i think what Turbo means by foreshortening is this: /__\ make the plaete like that, to make it look 3/4 view.
btw, i like how you shaded/highlighted the seaweed things (the black wraps, dunno what you call them, so...)...
also, these make me hungry. :)
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 04:34:18 am

yes?

Offline monteboyd

• View Profile
    • monteboyd.com

Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 05:23:32 am
Thanks Helm but I'm going for a less shiny plastic, plus I'm trying to not emphasise the plates too much as they're not the focus.

Here's a new direction: