AuthorTopic: Pixel Art ~ Am I the only one?  (Read 7650 times)

Offline lazyjoker

• View Profile

Pixel Art ~ Am I the only one?

on: April 22, 2012, 09:47:54 am
Well, 3-4 year lurker here, i don't intend to be a member, i am here to ask this question and maybe others.
I have read almost every (i hope this is not an exaggeration, but i am afraid that it is) notable and unnotable tutorial written on pixel art on the internet, i have studied sprites, read up on techniques (AA, dithering, Blending, Hue shifting, RGB/HSL values, Banding, etc.) And I still produce works that even i think are just bad.

So my question is this, am i the only one that thinks all the known pixel tutorials are, dare i say, Basic, there just crap, no offense to the people who write em. I mean, it cant be just me, E.G Tsugmo's works is mind blowing, no doubt, but his tutorial (sywtbapa) doesn't show me squat, and yet people always say "read this one", as with Dereks, as with Gas13, as with PixelZone, etc. people always link the same ones, and i cant get anything outta em. or maybe im missing something? i study each line but, nothing...

I also try to emulate/study many artist, like Fool,Helm,Jinn,Derek etc. but i cant understand ?HOW? pixel-gods?

So am i the only one?
And also suggest ways for me to advance or gimme some more indepth tuts or just new ones.
Thank you
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 10:00:20 am by lazyjoker »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel Art ~ Am I the only one?

Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 10:06:05 am
No pixel art tutorial teaches you the fundamentals of art which is much more useful than pixel perfect curves. Also, I often find the better I get the more I take away from tutorials.

If you haven't already, drop the mouse and pick up a pencil; and even if you have, do some more.

Offline lazyjoker

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 10:09:59 am
thanks for the advice, so, do u mean scanner or just to practice?

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 02:01:57 pm
Practicing is always the best way to improve. Use the tutorials after you've done some work to see if you're doing anything fundamentally wrong, but just keep working at it.

Offline 9_6

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 02:43:13 pm
And I still produce works that even i think are just bad.
You are always your harshest critic so this doesn't need to say too much.
Does scaling an image blur it?
Opera fix Firefox fix

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 02:57:20 pm
I actually disagree with Ryumaru. I am completely incapable of drawing anything on paper. In fact, I can almost even write more legibly on a mouse than I can with a pencil. The medium of your art does not effect your ability to learn fundamentals. Pixel art, like any art or profession takes practice, a lot of practice. I like to believe in the principle that the more pieces you push out the better you become as an artist. For me this has worked out quite well. However, I have seen this backfire due to the fact that it can lead to bad habits. In other words, use what you have seen in tutorials, the techniques, and apply them to your own practice. And while it's great to aspire to the pixel gods, just remember that they started out just like you did. There is no super power that they have, or artistic mastery that cannot be achieved through practice.

I hope that helps :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 03:51:57 pm
Hi, lazyjoker, I wanted to ask as it completely partains to your issue: Do you think the Ramblethread series of posts I've done which are fundamentals in pixel art are also 'basic crap' insofar that they haven't helped illuminate the 'how' part of making pixel art? I also agree most tutorials (not just pixel art, generally art tutorials on the internet) are "here's how I draw, aren't I awesome? Now do the same" and therefore unhelpful. But not all. Arne's fundamental digi-colouring guide for example has been of great help to me again and again. I think a lot of people are enthusiastic about sharing what they believe is their method, but they're not good teachers: they don't know how to differentiate the 'how to' from the 'why I did'. As I am trying to leave something behind to the pixel art community, I'm interested if the Ramblethread is also a barren zone for you. Also a more conceise, easier to read and practical-er version of the ideas presented in it can be found in Cure's tutorial here. Does this help?

Also, since you made this thread, please post examples of your artwork. Otherwise I have to move this thread to the general board. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:53:32 pm by Helm »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 07:43:16 pm
Is it your own drawing in general you're unhappy with, or just PA?

If PA the only art form you attempt, then there's your problem right there . . .

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 11:57:19 pm
Get your ass up and challenge yourself (e.g. try things you don't think you are skilled enough for), thats the most efficient way.

Tutorials can't teach you "how to be good", they just give you points from where you can start.

Offline lazyjoker

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 04:53:15 am
Ok move this in correct place, im sorry.
Now.
@Phlakes This advice is great, so thank you. //Practise
@9_6 This is so true, I sometimes show my work to others and they say it looks ok, whereas I think i've butchered it.
@slym This. Thank you so much. I feel exactly like this:)
@Helm ahh yes, Ramblethread, your the author yes? This is one of the few that aren't basic, but its soooo much theory, I love it:) (hard to get my head around though), and yes I have read Cures one at PJ, one of my favourites for Principles, also Les Forges one is really good. But also with Ramble thread, I think Anti-banding is a little bit inessecary, but its good theory, i mean most pixel art have HEAPS of banding on all their pieces, but that's just me.
@Mathias I am quite happy with my TA, but my passion is in PA
@Mr. Beast Will Do!
I will rephrase my first post, I don't really mean there crap, when I started pixel art these were "everything". But, if you use all the tequniques in tuts, you usually end up with a sorta "first drafting look", its readable, but that's it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:58:16 am by lazyjoker »