AuthorTopic: A first try at a grass texture  (Read 5703 times)

Offline ZeroXP

• View Profile

A first try at a grass texture

on: April 27, 2012, 03:20:45 pm
So I've recently started trying to learn how to make pixel art, with the goal being using them in mobile games in the future. After doing research and messing around for a couple of days I tried to make my first grass texture for an old school RPG style game. I really tried to emulate some nice looking grass I saw referenced in a blog post that was taken from a The Secret of Mana.  I used 3 different color shades and used anti aliasing to come up with this:

I'm really looking for any constructive criticism, things to try, or advice anyone has as I embark on trying to make nice looking pixel art.

Thanks.

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Re: A first try at a grass texture

Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 06:53:11 pm
maybe the big problem is the mosaic effect when you add your tile with others

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Re: A first try at a grass texture

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 07:24:27 pm
Very nice-looking tile you have there :) One thing you could try to make it look more interesting is to shift the hue a little. I gave the dark green a shift towards a cooler blue color and the light green towards yellow. Parts of objects tend to look cooler and less saturated the less light they receive.

If you want to avoid the mosaic effect kriss mentions you could make a second version of the tile with some variations, then break up the pattern here and there with your second tile.