AuthorTopic: trying to get good with pixels  (Read 2671 times)

Offline ABC

• View Profile

trying to get good with pixels

on: April 19, 2012, 04:12:48 am
Hey everyone,

So I finally took time to get better with pixels.

I'm really starting back to the roots (not that I ever got really good haha).

So I just wanted comments on the lines I drew today. Complicated stuff like broken lines, banding, etc. I want to get G00D!

Now that I think of it, having a colored version is abit repetitive but meh.

I included my attempt at rendering a small part of the face so you can see how much of a mess it becomes when I pretend to be a real pixel artist haha.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 08:05:27 am by ABC »

Offline ABC

• View Profile

Re: trying to get good with pixels

Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 08:11:52 pm
I took a bit of time to try and improve my lines. I think the face improved very much. The little guy is now closer to my original paper sketch too.

Still looking for comments :)

I also tried to make another rendering...

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 12:04:34 am
I don't really see anything wrong with the pixel tech, specifically.

It sounds more like you're trying to improve your fundamental drawing/rendering skills. Whether oil paints or pixels, it's all the same principles.

I separate your character designs from the means you use to color them. Your pixelling is fine. Though your designs I do find bland. Symmetrical T pose?

But, since you're focused on PA, I have a suggestion - remove the design factor, use a few of Arachne's outlines. See if you like any (don't miss that there are 3 pages, not just the one).

Grab a small one, color it, and report back here when it's ready to show.

One more thing, consider making your own palette. One that best serves the task at hand.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 12:06:12 am by Mathias »

Offline ABC

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 12:58:42 am
Thanks for the reply.

My main goal was actually to get better at outlines and pixel specific techniques. Of course I still have a lot to learn that's not specific to pixels but I don't think these designs were a good representation of my skills.

The main reason why they are so boring is that when making them I was too focused on making clean lines so I didn't go for dynamic interesting poses.

I will color one of the outlines you showed me though, because practice is practice!

In the mean time if anyone has any other pointers on things I do completely wrong or I could improve based on the last posts, please tell me.

I'll be working on a better design and I'll post that later so I can improve my drawings in general too.