AuthorTopic: Intellivision Pixel Art Guide.  (Read 22036 times)

Offline Player 3

• View Profile

Re: Intellivision Pixel Art Guide.

Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 07:15:11 pm
Oh Sears why did you do that? :( Well that is a good chunk out of the font losing most of the lowercase and a bit of uppercase plus some useful symbols, that does put more burden on the GRAM to fill them in order to support the Sears Super Video Arcades(What a mouth full lol.). Damn what an annoying variable but I'm still glad you brought that to my attention so thank you. :)

Meant that at the title screen. There are no "X presents" lines.

Offline BladeJunker

• Know your limits, then break them.
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 08:48:53 pm
Oh Sears why did you do that? :( Well that is a good chunk out of the font losing most of the lowercase and a bit of uppercase plus some useful symbols, that does put more burden on the GRAM to fill them in order to support the Sears Super Video Arcades(What a mouth full lol.). Damn what an annoying variable but I'm still glad you brought that to my attention so thank you. :)

Oh, you mean the screen, I thought you meant from the GROM table. :noob: Phew that's a relief.  ;)
Well that is a different issue all together, that definitely puts a cramp into using the entire screen for text. It sounds like you have a better grasp on this issue, what do you think about it in terms of a work around that serves both the standard and Sears difference?

Offline Player 3

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 12:20:41 am

Oh, you mean the screen, I thought you meant from the GROM table. :noob: Phew that's a relief.  ;)
Well that is a different issue all together, that definitely puts a cramp into using the entire screen for text. It sounds like you have a better grasp on this issue, what do you think about it in terms of a work around that serves both the standard and Sears difference?

A fix? Like in this picture.

Like in modern games, there's mainly just the title and the copyright belonging to the creator. By overwriting the last two lines on the title screen ("COPR @ 1979" for example), there can be the full copyright spelling, the year, and on the last line, the full name of the company. Simple.

The grid is done in a format of $200 + 19 (also example) for results, as stated on a programming tutorial.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:27:07 am by Player 3 »

Offline BladeJunker

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 12:55:53 am

A fix? Like in this picture.

Like in modern games, there's mainly just the title and the copyright belonging to the creator. By overwriting the last two lines on the title screen ("COPR @ 1979" for example), there can be the full copyright spelling, the year, and on the last line, the full name of the company. Simple.

The grid is done in a format of $200 + 19 (also example) for results, as stated on a programming tutorial.

Yeah seems simple enough cool.  I tried my best to understand the tutorial you mentioned but I am not good with this stuff. Does this Sears issue apply to just the title screen or all text in games, can you do a screen of text or would that use too much memory and require truncated text strings? Haven't come across any text adventures yet on INTV, the closest I could find was this project.
http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/194343-dr-chatterbot-diary/

Offline BladeJunker

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 21, 2012, 01:03:36 am

Tried to squash Malaika Prehistoric Quest down into INTV size. I was looking at the color palettes between the INTV and MSX1 and the difference looked negligible. Ran out of screen space so fast that I pillared Score and Top Score to the sides of the screen. Idk, Mario games have Score but do we even care anymore, I feel the same way about the timer? ::)

Offline Player 3

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 07:27:40 pm
Does this Sears issue apply to just the title screen or all text in games, can you do a screen of text or would that use too much memory and require truncated text strings? Haven't come across any text adventures yet on INTV, the closest I could find was this project.
http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/194343-dr-chatterbot-diary/

Sears's is probably a modified EXEX.BIN, which should pretty much just overwrite that small portion of the title screen. If it was persistent past that point, then there would have to be a different version of every game. Not saying there wasn't one, like all these Sears Tele-Games I have in my cabinet. As for text adventures, I do recall one for the Atari 2600 VCS, using the keyboard controller (which in fact was just a keypad).

Offline BladeJunker

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 08:02:24 pm
Sears's is probably a modified EXEX.BIN, which should pretty much just overwrite that small portion of the title screen. If it was persistent past that point, then there would have to be a different version of every game. Not saying there wasn't one, like all these Sears Tele-Games I have in my cabinet. As for text adventures, I do recall one for the Atari 2600 VCS, using the keyboard controller (which in fact was just a keypad).

Well that makes sense, yeah that would result in a lot of carts lol. I was just curious as to the INTV's potential for text based game content since a persistent character to screen exception would be a pain. I found info on that keypad you mentioned and some carts that use it, can't say I've ever seen one in real life yet or its variants.
http://www.atariage.com/controller_page.html?ControllerID=4&SystemID=2600
http://www.atariage.com/controller_page.html?SystemID=2600&ControllerID=6
http://www.atariage.com/controller_page.html?SystemID=2600&ControllerID=5