AuthorTopic: Future Fantasy *Updated 06/15/06*  (Read 21661 times)

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Re: Future Fantasy

Reply #40 on: June 14, 2006, 07:44:09 pm
Dwarves and orcs and elves are all the same height?

But then again, you know what? I rather like it =) It makes things a little less typical.

EDIT:
Insightful comment of the day: a thing with wings would be cool. (But don't you dare make another dragon, I can't take any more dragons =p)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: June 14, 2006, 10:52:17 pm
these just keep getting better and better.  my only concern is that the dwarf is the best of the 3, having much more volume, so it might be better to go add the strong shadowing seen in his picture to the others.
the colors look really good to me, i wouldnt change a thing.  thanks for the trust in my opinion but its also good to question - i dont even the scriptures should be taken as scriptures :P
as far as the height thing, in norse mythology from where they all come from, not only are dwarves and elves the same height, they are the same being (the words being used interchangeably depending on the writer, gnome is also the same as both).  orcs, known more widely as hobgoblins, are also of less-than-human stature in some cases, though they have also been sometimes described as immensely tall.  it has been suggested that the ideas of dwarves and elves comes from the limited dealings that the norse had with the bronzed-skinned arab cultures know for their fine metalworking.  similarly it has been suggested that orcs are a rude cariacature of the easten asian russians, who were thought of as being skinny, pallid of skin, and who were presumed to be monsters, their outward appearence being the result of eating human flesh and having their souls stipped away.  the now-popular 'tolkien's orcs' are entirely of his own creation and bear little semblence to the mythological zombie-like orcs, nor to the english 'orc (orke)' meaning an imp or other lesser daemon.  i dont know which orc yours is, but the point is that height is irrelevant.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Aleiav

• I like my coffee black just like my metal.
    • View Profile
    • Gothiclola (dot) Net

Reply #42 on: June 15, 2006, 12:42:01 am
Eh, looking at it now, I don't think simplifying is needed. Unless of course you're background is going to be just as busy and there's not going to be any outline over the sprites. IF you're putting them in a game that is.

Otherwise, they're brilliant! :)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: June 15, 2006, 12:58:35 am
The non-animated stuff is reminding me of those Warcraft I and II covers, with the battle-ready humans and orcs facing off.  Looks great so far, keep it up.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: June 15, 2006, 07:12:04 am
Oh, cant wait for the the gnoll. its gonna look sweet.

Two tiny lil crit with the animation. the moving shine on the gun just doesn't work well (I cant really explain why, mabey its just personal opinion). and the chest should be moving abit more from side to side like the shoulders at the moment it looks abit to front on.

I'm really inspired by this stuff, so would you mind if i tried my own one of these Future vs Fantasy characters? I'm thinking about trying a human wizard one. oh, and if you want i can post it on a different thread as to not thread hijack. I would understand if you didn't want me to do one, but i do want to try :)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 09:05:30 am by Meta|Fox »

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: June 15, 2006, 04:28:53 pm
Updated with a flying thing that isn't a dragon.

Adarias: heh, too true, and I guess it was just an over the top figure of speech (I don't exactly take scripture as scripture relevant myself :P). So let's just say I take your opinion very seriously ;). As for the shadows, I agree totally, and tried a bit to work the whole thing into the others, but probably didn;t go far enough with it. In a later update, definitely. as for height, I didn't make it too pronounced, but if you look at it, the elf is tallest, the orc slightly taller and stockier, and the dwarf, minus his hat thing, is actually almost a head shorter than the elf and probably twice as thick. But yeah, it is irrelevant. I'm trying to be stereotypically untypical, if that makes sense. I'm trying to use the classic races, but not worry too too much about modern tarditional (i.e.: post Tolkein) imagery. My orc is obviously based off the more cartoony Warcrafty image of an orc, being a muscly green guy, but I dunno...

Crumbbread: Wing thing is in, cause the Gnoll is being a jerk and giving me trouble. Still workin' on it, but uit might be a bit.

Aleiav: Me being me, there will be a white outline around the sprites. Me being me also means a game is probably not likely to get finished at any point soon, but hey, the thought is there. Maybe once I'm done with the art, I'll just kidnap a programmer to do it for me.

Cure: I got the same image, honestly. Yay lack of independant imagination! ;D

Meta|Fox: Go to it, Fox. I'm flattered to be an inspiration!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 05:33:41 pm by Tremulant »

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Re: Future Fantasy *Updated 06/15/06*

Reply #46 on: June 16, 2006, 05:34:40 am
Thanks Trem  ;D its up and posted
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1453.msg17594#msg17594

Anyway, in regards to your "flying thing that isn't a dragon" i like it, but compared to the rest it doesn't really seem to fit in. this might be because the others poses are more relaxed or the fact that its alot smaller, nothing to crit on the actual pixel art though.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 05:36:17 am by Meta|Fox »

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: June 16, 2006, 01:02:15 pm
I like the Faerie as a unit (wow, Tremulant is like a genie granting my every request ^_^_^), but agree with metalfox that the pose is what makes it look out of place. (If the particle effects around it are s'posed to be Faerie dust, they look more like motion blur)

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #48 on: June 16, 2006, 02:22:17 pm
This is sweet. Now do a centaur for me! kthanksbye

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #49 on: June 16, 2006, 03:47:53 pm
Lovely! The fairy makes me think of the Artemis Fowl series, I like its (her?) pose but it doesn't quite read as well as it should, I think. Something about how the limbs are lining up. The close arm on the elf looks a bit weird, and it's been looks weirder and weirder the longer I look at it. I did a quick edit to see if I could fix it up some, not entirely sure how correct I am but here it is in case it helps: