AuthorTopic: Future Fantasy *Updated 06/15/06*  (Read 21629 times)

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Re: Orcs... of the fuuutuure!!! *LANGUAGE WARNING?* *Update*

Reply #20 on: June 07, 2006, 12:26:36 am

Any better? haha No, I know, but I'm trying to prove I at least tried.

And a follow up on the previous stuff...
The non outer AA'd one was, admittedly, slightly bastardized by the reduced colour count and attempted palette unification. It lost some of it's original style, and looks a bit more washed out, etc. So to be fair, I'll probably do another version thusly.
On another note, the new one is light variably outlined, but it still uses outer AA.
edited for typos...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2006, 12:29:25 am by Tremulant »

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount
It is not my nature to forgive. It is my nature, however, to edit:

Did two edits: first frame is your original, second i changed the muzzle perspective and twisted the lower hand into perspective as well. The picture loses the dinamic drama induced by the big front look at the muzzle element. Third frame, i shifted the weapon closer to the body, and adjusted hand/forearm into position. We see less of the character, he looks almost hidden behind it. Each option has it disadvantages, but they're technically more correct, now it's up to the artist to choose (to change into either, or to just stick with the original, always an option).

P.S.: perspectivism for the win!

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM
Graffiti + edit:

Although I see Turbo has an edit as well.  :D

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile
Updated again! Hopefully this bit of perspectival correctation will save me from the Wrath of Turbo.
Btw, Turbo, thanks bunches for the edit. I based my new version on it to the point that it's... well, let's just say it's not exaclty a blatant copy ;D

CAG, the first diagram is great. Why the hell didn't I think of actually using like, y'know, the rules of perspective when trying to fix the perspective? haha Such an outlandish concept...

Side note... when it's decided that this is acceptable, I'm going to do a reworking minus the outer AA, just to see how it looks. Shouldn't get stuck on certain habits, and though the AA technically is ok for a piece like this, meh... I need to stop relying so heavily on it and spice things up a bit, y'know?

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile
Biggish update. Described it above, so I'll make you all look up there to save on redundance. ;)

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Re: Future Fantasy

Reply #25 on: June 12, 2006, 12:29:02 am
Elfy and orcy...this could get ugly. Good update, the heavy dark shading seems to give the piece a comic-book like feel. It would be neat to see those game sprites of your soon too ^_^.

I do think you could use one more green tone in there...to add some detail to the darker areas, the skin and hair etc already have a fairly smooth transition, but the green doesn't. Might want to add more detail to the smoke, it doesnt exactly match the sprite style at all.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: June 12, 2006, 01:08:42 am
personally i dont like the coloring of the elf, i think he should wear a different color (like a smokey blue or rusty orange-gray)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: June 12, 2006, 01:21:27 pm
Thanks guys. Cool stuff you've brought up, and I've tried to address it.

Dhaos: It will most definitely get ugly, if all goes as planned ;) I assume you meant the green on the elf's clothing? Since I changed the colours, It may have been somewhat addressed, but I dunno, you tell me. I think I've thought of what to do about the smoke, too, just haven't added it in yet. I'm getting too it, though ;D

Adarias: Are these more the colours you were thinking of? I was trying to add as few colours as possible (workign from the orc's palette), but that's kinda pointless, in retrospect. Plu, I like the new colours better, soo...

I added a sprite, too. It has it's problems (mainly, the legs don't move as smoothly as they could), but I thought I'd put up something to give an idea of where I'm going.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #28 on: June 12, 2006, 01:49:41 pm
The new elf palette is pretty nice. Variation is good. As far as your orc run is concerned, its hand and gun are wobbling quite a bit, its like he doesnt have a good grip on the gun. Also the gun details are moving around alot, is that ment to be a shine?...

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #29 on: June 12, 2006, 02:17:13 pm
hey man these are great...your sprite is doing something that mine often do too, which is the background and foreground legs are so similar in value that it starts to make the animation look a little strange/abstract.  if you can make that foreground leg any brighter I think that will help quite a bit.