AuthorTopic: Future Fantasy *Updated 06/15/06*  (Read 21623 times)

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Re: Orcs... of the fuuutuure!!! *LANGUAGE WARNING?* *Update*

Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 02:45:07 am
*cough* *cough* *cough* takes medicine, +51 Health

Just complementing and emphasizing aspects of what was previously said :)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #11 on: June 06, 2006, 07:31:59 pm
a static sprite if I remember my Amos Basic, is a BOB, no?

Tremulant is the one that called this a sprite, and that's why mainly I suggested he takes off the outer AA. Personally, I find his last, sharper version best, for what a sprite is supposed to be doing. Trem is awesome, and a lot of his stuff is quasi-scene artwork, not game-art, but he seemed to want this to be a sprite? That's what I gathered. Even if this is a scene piece and not game-art, I believe just for the purposes of getting outside his habits, it's a good idea to have tried no-outer AA for once. And light-dependent outlines are always a good thing, in my opinion.

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 07:43:48 pm
a static sprite if I remember my Amos Basic, is a BOB, no?

OT: I think, BOB means Blitter Object, wich is a sprite that isn't "rendered" with the sprite hardware but with the blitter.

Anyway, amazing work Tremulant. You have improved so much since you first posted here. I have no crits. Keep up the good work!
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 08:33:25 pm
Heh. Apologies, gentlemen, as I think I misused the term "sprite". What I meant was that this will probably be displayed on a transparent background by its lonesome. Not game art, but not entirely a 'scene' either. As such, Helm's on the right track. No outher aa and variable outlines make much more sense, given the way I mean for this to be presented.

But what about the actual image? I agree with Helm in that I think the last one is best, but it's clearly no where near perfect. The colours, if nothing else, are a bit bland, no?

I demand more criticism! Criticize me! ...umm.. please. ;D

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 08:50:18 pm
Dude, two people just told you the gun is fuxxored. Get to it already. You're not getting away that easy.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 06, 2006, 08:52:34 pm
didnt mean to use the term wrong, i just call every pixeled character a sprite out of habit.  Ill just use 'piece' since im not sure what else to say :P, if people can understand me without difficulty....doesnt really matter

as far as actual crits, i think the skin highlights should follow the forms a bit more, that or add another highlight color to the skin.  you have a habit of making everything round when you start highlighting anatomy, and most shapes really are far from.  just a thought, but the highlights could be better shaped to show muscles instead of many round surfaces.  i second (third? fourth?) the thing about the gun too
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 08:57:32 pm
The AA sample Adarias posted is one of the most useful examples I've seen.
*joink*

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: June 06, 2006, 09:07:08 pm
helm: oh, bob, heh. i actually got that from you, but it was just too long ago to remember. it was in one of squidi's crusades, probably one of his earlier ones considering he got support from most of the pixelationers, against someone really evil calling his comics sprite comics or maybe he had been ripped by a 10-year-old again, no idea

and my, am i impolite again. your picture is nice as usual tremulant.. heh this isn't any better than saying nothing either, sorry. and i'll probably just repeat what others said about the outer aa thing, but just judge by yourself what you want to do. i mean if you're using a fixed background, well of course make it look nice by smoothening it out

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 09:12:31 pm
if the sprite is AAed to a constant background that is part of the sprite, thats not outer AA, thats just regular AA within a piece.

If a "sprite" is on a constant background and does not move it's not a sprite. Most of the stuff anyone does here does not constitute as a sprite at all :P
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 11:40:24 pm
Huh... moderate embarassment award goes to me for totally missing that, turbo :P

...But back to it, how should I go about fixing it? I'm not a... perspectivist... so... I'm working on it now, but it's gonna be just as effed when I hand in the new one. Suggestions or examples? I know I'm a being a whiner here, but hey, that's me. ;D