AuthorTopic: Armored Ninja Sprite  (Read 4026 times)

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Armored Ninja Sprite

on: June 04, 2006, 09:26:59 am
Latest Sprite for ya. 16 colours. its a Ninja... Warrior... Thing  ;D

|update:| (and darker version)
And here be progresion

What do ya think?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 07:43:09 am by Meta|Fox »

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Re: Armored Ninja Sprite

Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 06:52:35 pm
Hi MetalFox, nice work.

Theres's a lot of anatomy issues here:  his right shoulder seems unhinged and separate from the rest of his body, his has no waist and that results in the legs being placed awkwardly.  His thighs should be thicker then the lower half of the leg.  His torso also seems to be too big.

I think you used an unecessary amount of colors for this.  You actually used 19 colors, but there are some colors that you only used for a few pixels that would boost that up, keep on the look out for slips like that.  Even with those in mind, I think you used too many without really thinking if each shade was necessary.  Also, the shading seems sporadic... for example, on the torso, it's hard to tell what's going on, like you're trying to cram detail in, when you shoud be focusing more on suggesting shape.  Also, you don't need to use a full range of colors to suggest detail, like in the ribcage.  Using black makes him look like a zombie, when simply a lighter shade would do the trick.

I'm having a hard time trying to put my thoughts into words here so if you need me to clarify anything just ask, hope this helps.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 09:36:15 pm
First off, let me say that this is easily my favorite of your works so far, and, stylistically, it fits with the others perfectly.

Now, I hope you're cool with edits, cause I did a quick one:

Edit<-->Original:

I reduced the colour count. I know the colours aren't exactly the same here, but this is basically just to show how you could reduce the palette size while still maintaining the details. That was the major thing, and most other changes came as a result of fewer colours. The only other thing heavily edited was the sword. By using AA, I think I was able to make it look less jagged (the jagginess being the one main thing that bugged me in the original). There are minor anatomical changes in the edit too, but my understanding of anatomy is base at best, so take them with a grain of salt.

Hope this helps, and again, cool piece. Pixel on.

p.s.: I noticed my shading here is a bit pillowy, so ignore that... it shouldn't be so.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 04:42:13 am
Thanks For the feed back guys.

ok heres an update
and a darker less shiny one
Any better, any worse?

I reduced the colours to about 10 and did some minor anatomy changes. Im not sure if this is any better or not but hey. spose thats why im posting it  ;).

Also Tremulant, i envy you shading in that edit.
 :P

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 06:09:31 am by Meta|Fox »

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2006, 06:57:27 pm
Meta|Fox,
Nice sly ninja you've got there, I could offer my two cents, here's an edit(I was concerned with what, in my opinion, was a bit of pillow shading), Thanks( I enjoyed/was inspired by editing your ninja! )

also I thought the oultine on the sword was a bit extreme
just a couple thoughts....later!

Offline alkaline

• may be caustic
    • designflaw
    • awstenn
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 10:46:43 am
Dtek, all you did was muck it up? I think keeping it brighter and more discernable is the way to go.

Nice edits meta|, I'd say just remove the jagged edges on the sword and you should probably fix the anatomy problem where his two legs are too close together and are facing the same way.

Offline dtek

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 05:48:51 pm
it is mucked up, I was just trying to illustrate(roughly) my point!
more ninjas!