AuthorTopic: Gladiator  (Read 7593 times)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Gladiator

on: June 03, 2006, 11:12:14 pm
Some recent animations.

Comment and critique, if you wish

EDIT:

« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 09:18:46 pm by Darien »

Offline Br3ttieBoi

• View Profile

Re: Gladiator

Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 11:53:28 pm
very nice dude, 10/10 looks wonderfull

speachless

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 12:09:08 am
The running animation looks like he's leaning back.
Something about the sword swing looks... incomplete... I guess because it almost looks like the first swing isn't a "full swing" as he only swings it until it's parallel to the ground. Perhaps make it swing lower some more to give a "full, round" swing?

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 12:50:42 am
aye. it would be somewhat difficult to stop mid-swing in something as strong as that, but maybe it's me. also it looks abit weird how his feet just slide around like that. I would suggest maybe a slight head turn while running? looking good, though.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 02:40:55 am
yes, i dont think the swings have enough followthrough, actually the whole thing seems kinda silly.  perhaps that is what you were going for though? if not though i suggest examining the fundamentals of shortsword fighting, since his technique would have him dead in the sand in moments.  actual pixelwork si great as usual, and i like the colors/shading style used.

as technique is conerned, youve actually got a very solid combo with the slash high, back mid, thrust mid, but they dont transition smoothly from one to another, and swordfighting is all about fluidity of motion.  Also, since his feet dont move, the very good aggressive combo your are using becomes useless because he is by default defending.  If you must keep the feet still, id would suggest slash mid, back mid, thrust low, thrust high, a combo which allows the opponent's guard to flow over you with your slashes to keep his hands out while keeping your other hand free to grapple if necessary before you pin him with the low trust and finish with the high (in simpler terms, you knock his sword away with the first blow, his shield away with the second, pierce his stomach with the third, then ending with a stab to the face or throat). 
If you want to keep your aggressive combo, he should take one step with each swing, changing between closed and open every blow to gain ground.
If you want to make the combo more aggressive, i suggest beginning open and going back high, rise, and pass on the right with a back high.  its a risky combo but uts fast as anything if you dont drag out the rise and it allows you to move on to the next opponent with your now dying first target keeping enemies off your back as he falls.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 03:03:47 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Opacus

• Entangled
    • View Profile
    • www.jimjansen.net

Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 09:05:56 am
You might want to give some effect to the sword swing.
Also, in the sword anim, his torso turns, but his legs don't. ???

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 12:14:12 pm
Do you have to turn your legs every time you swivel your torso? I hope not, if you do you should see a doctor, Shadow Wolf.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 12:26:25 pm
yes, we're talking 90 degree turn here. I'm not a g.i. joe toy, I have to use my legs for that too.

Offline Godslayer

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 01:00:49 pm
Ok, I think I see what your talking about- where his back is visible? I can do that, its just uncomfortable. I think what makes it look strange is the speration between upper and lowe body, without a sense of twisting, not that its impossible. I dunno, maybe I'm completely wrong, but its seems the most my legs do is turn the knees slightly inward when I do that motion and don't move my legs.
How long can the floor creak before it loses its voice?

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 07:25:09 pm
Thanks for the comments guys.

The leaning back for the run was my personal revolt against the stupid ninja who runs parallel to the ground.  Perhaps I overdid it though.

The followthrough and (non)waist turning crits on the slash are both right.

Adarias - I'm afraid I don't really understand all your jargon.  I'm not going to throw this combo away... so just help me understand what exactly is wrong with it.  So far I'm getting that it's not fluid enough and he's not stepping forward? What do you mean by closed and open?  I only know that in reference to the opponents stance.  I was designing this attack while pretending it was for a game, so I didn't think taking a step forward or moving at all would be necessary--more like the opponent is standing right in front of the guy so moving for him wouldn't be necessary.